From: rainsrg on
I have the same problem. Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 -
KB982524 it fails, the little yellow shield goes away.... but it keeps coming
back daily. I try again, and again it fails to install. I tried going to
the Microsoft web site, finding KB982524 and manually downloading and
installing. That didn't work either. It would download, but the install
would fail.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"rainsrg" <rainsrg(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem. Every time I try to install .NET Framework 3.0 -
> KB982524 it fails, the little yellow shield goes away.... but it keeps
> coming
> back daily. I try again, and again it fails to install. I tried going to
> the Microsoft web site, finding KB982524 and manually downloading and
> installing. That didn't work either.

> It would download, but the install would fail.

That's the second reason that you're doing a manual install. If it fails,
you can now have much better diagnostics about the failure. Hint: among
all the files that the update creates or adds to look for an msi log or
maximize it by rerunning the install with a verbose switch on your command
line. Etc. BTW if you're not sure about how to find all of the changed
files (e.g., I don't think you can use Windows Search any more for this) you
can use ProcMon to capture any Operation Contains WRITE made by the
update's process name. FWIW I usually find dir/a/s/ta | sort
sufficient (e.g. in a cmd window) but I have my time and date set up to
enable that sort (e.g. Date YYYY-MM-DD and time HH:MM:SS -- ISO date and
24 hour with zero filled values. )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Let us know when you figure out what clicking that little + sign does. But
you better do it before Thursday when MS is 86'ing this and many other
newsgroups.