From: dphizler on
I was wondering if someone could tell me how feasible it would be to
do the following. This is a .Net question btw.

I have a complex desktop application that is in C++.

I need to develop a Web application that does the same work as the
desktop application.

I was thinking of using ASP.NET because I thought maybe it would be
possible to use some of the already existing code in the desktop
application. Maybe it would require a bit of tweaking.

Does anybody know how feasible this might be?

Thank you for your information,
Philippe
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"dphizler" <dphizler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anybody know how feasible this might be?

It is, effectively, impossible to answer this question as you don't provide
any useful information - desktop apps and web apps are *TOTALLY* different
in architecture.

That said, converting C++ to C# is (relatively) painless so, if your desktop
app contains lots of business logic, it may be possible to convert it fairly
easily...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: r norman on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 06:52:07 -0700 (PDT), dphizler
<dphizler(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if someone could tell me how feasible it would be to
>do the following. This is a .Net question btw.
>
>I have a complex desktop application that is in C++.
>
>I need to develop a Web application that does the same work as the
>desktop application.
>
>I was thinking of using ASP.NET because I thought maybe it would be
>possible to use some of the already existing code in the desktop
>application. Maybe it would require a bit of tweaking.
>
>Does anybody know how feasible this might be?
>
>Thank you for your information,
>Philippe

I can't answer you question but I have other questions to add ...

I, too, have a complex client/server application that users want
converted to a web based application. However my application
automatically updates values shown on the display several times per
second so that users have an immediate picture of what is happening
with external equipment being monitored. I don't know how to develop
a web based application that can do this without doing a complete page
update, which flashes the screen. Can this be done? Can it be done
"easily"?

From: dphizler on
On Mar 31, 10:16 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <m...(a)markrae.net> wrote:
> "dphizler" <dphiz...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Does anybody know how feasible this might be?
>
> It is, effectively, impossible to answer this question as you don't provide
> any useful information - desktop apps and web apps are *TOTALLY* different
> in architecture.
>
> That said, converting C++ to C# is (relatively) painless so, if your desktop
> app contains lots of business logic, it may be possible to convert it fairly
> easily...
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

I can't be much more specific than that.

The whole converting C++ to C# being painless is very interesting to
me. As a result, this C# will be easy to use in an ASP.NET web app?

There is lots of business logic, but until I see the application code
in detail there is no way of knowing how much of it there is.

Thanks for your information.

Phil
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on

> The whole converting C++ to C# being painless is very interesting to
> me.

C# is part of the C family of computing languages. There are many
similarities, especially in terms of syntax. There are, of course, many
differences too..

> As a result, this C# will be easy to use in an ASP.NET web app?

Again, it's impossible to answer that question...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP