From: Syfo-Dyas on
My nephew wants to get one and needs one for college but I know very
little about PC's in general. Is any of these better and why?
Thanks
From: Grinder on
On 6/2/2010 7:25 PM, Syfo-Dyas wrote:
> My nephew wants to get one and needs one for college but I know very
> little about PC's in general. Is any of these better and why?

Unless your nephew specifically wants a netbook, I don't think he'll
happy with one. There are several limitations to a netbook and only
modest advantages:

LIMITATIONS

1) Small screen. A typical netbook has a 10" screen; a low-end notebook
has a 15" screen. That's not just 33% less screen -- it's 57% less
screen area, and 40% fewer pixels.

2) Small keyboard. The typical 10" netbook as about a 95% keyboard,
which makes a big difference for someone with normal to large hands.

3) No internal optical drive. He won't be watching DVDs on his netbook
unless he buys and drags an external optical drive around with him.

4) Performance limits. A netbook is adequate for web browsing, email,
word processing and even most video playback, but it cannot play more
intensive games or do high-powered calculations like a "real" personal
computer. Notebooks are generally poorer performers than similarly
priced desktops, but netbooks are particularly bad.

ADVANTAGES

1) Obviously, the size and weight can be handy.

2) Battery life. Because if the diminished screen and processor, a
netbooks battery life can be pretty good compared to a netbook.

3) You can pick up a new 10" netbook for less than $300, and a new 15"
notebook for a bit more than $400. It's my opinion that a saving of
about $100 does not compensate for all that you give up with a netbook.

- - - - - -

With that said, though, I'll point out that I own a netbook, but I do
not own a notebook. The portability and battery life looked attractive
to me because of the limited situations in which I use that device.

If, however, I needed it to be my primary PC, I would not be happy with
a netbook.
From: Syfo-Dyas on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:10:49 -0500, Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com>
wrote:

>On 6/2/2010 7:25 PM, Syfo-Dyas wrote:
>> My nephew wants to get one and needs one for college but I know very
>> little about PC's in general. Is any of these better and why?
>
>Unless your nephew specifically wants a netbook, I don't think he'll
>happy with one. There are several limitations to a netbook and only
>modest advantages:
>
>LIMITATIONS
>
>1) Small screen. A typical netbook has a 10" screen; a low-end notebook
>has a 15" screen. That's not just 33% less screen -- it's 57% less
>screen area, and 40% fewer pixels.
>
>2) Small keyboard. The typical 10" netbook as about a 95% keyboard,
>which makes a big difference for someone with normal to large hands.
>
>3) No internal optical drive. He won't be watching DVDs on his netbook
>unless he buys and drags an external optical drive around with him.
>
>4) Performance limits. A netbook is adequate for web browsing, email,
>word processing and even most video playback, but it cannot play more
>intensive games or do high-powered calculations like a "real" personal
>computer. Notebooks are generally poorer performers than similarly
>priced desktops, but netbooks are particularly bad.
>
>ADVANTAGES
>
>1) Obviously, the size and weight can be handy.
>
>2) Battery life. Because if the diminished screen and processor, a
>netbooks battery life can be pretty good compared to a netbook.
>
>3) You can pick up a new 10" netbook for less than $300, and a new 15"
>notebook for a bit more than $400. It's my opinion that a saving of
>about $100 does not compensate for all that you give up with a netbook.
>
>- - - - - -
>
>With that said, though, I'll point out that I own a netbook, but I do
>not own a notebook. The portability and battery life looked attractive
>to me because of the limited situations in which I use that device.
>
>If, however, I needed it to be my primary PC, I would not be happy with
>a netbook.

Thanks alot that really helped him in his decision... He really just
uses it to surf and stuff so the netbook will probably be his choice
as well.
From: Nil on
On 06 Jun 2010, Syfo-Dyas <Syfo-Dyas(a)nomail.com> wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:10:49 -0500, Grinder
> <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:
>>
>>Unless your nephew specifically wants a netbook, I don't think
>>he'll happy with one. There are several limitations to a netbook
>>and only modest advantages:
>>
>>LIMITATIONS
>>
>>1) Small screen. A typical netbook has a 10" screen; a low-end
>>notebook has a 15" screen. That's not just 33% less screen --
>>it's 57% less screen area, and 40% fewer pixels.
>>
>>2) Small keyboard. The typical 10" netbook as about a 95%
>>keyboard, which makes a big difference for someone with normal to
>>large hands.
>>
>>3) No internal optical drive. He won't be watching DVDs on his
>>netbook unless he buys and drags an external optical drive around
>>with him.
>>
>>4) Performance limits. A netbook is adequate for web browsing,
>>email, word processing and even most video playback, but it cannot
>>play more intensive games or do high-powered calculations like a
>>"real" personal computer. Notebooks are generally poorer
>>performers than similarly priced desktops, but netbooks are
>>particularly bad.
>>
>>ADVANTAGES
>>
>>1) Obviously, the size and weight can be handy.
>>
>>2) Battery life. Because if the diminished screen and processor,
>>a netbooks battery life can be pretty good compared to a netbook.
>>
>>3) You can pick up a new 10" netbook for less than $300, and a new
>>15" notebook for a bit more than $400. It's my opinion that a
>>saving of about $100 does not compensate for all that you give up
>>with a netbook.
>>
>>- - - - - -
>>
>>With that said, though, I'll point out that I own a netbook, but I
>>do not own a notebook. The portability and battery life looked
>>attractive to me because of the limited situations in which I use
>>that device.
>>
>>If, however, I needed it to be my primary PC, I would not be happy
>>with a netbook.
>
> Thanks alot that really helped him in his decision... He really
> just uses it to surf and stuff so the netbook will probably be his
> choice as well.

Mr. Grinder made a good case about laptops vs. netbooks. One thing you
can consider is that both the laptop and and netbook can be hooked up
to external monitors, keyboards, mice, and disk drives. So, not only
are they good for travel, they can be used at your desk at home with
full-size, peripherals. Netbooks are good because they are small and
light, but the small monitor and cramped keyboard are rather
uncomfortable. When I connect it to a regular desktop monitor it's much
nice to use. Slower than my speedy desktop, but plenty usable.