From: John Navas on
Appcelerator has published the results of its most recent app developer
survey. The survey--which includes responses from more than 2,700
developers--shows Android in the lead in a handful of categories, but
the iPhone OS, or IOS4, is crushing all competitors in every category
that counts for businesses and developers.

It seems eerily parallel to the Windows v. OS2, or VHS v. Betamax wars.
Like OS2 and Betamax, Android seems to hold a respectable lead in
certain categories that indicate it is a technically superior platform.
For example, developers responding to the survey put Android ahead in
"Has the most capabilities as an OS", "the most 'open' platform on the
market", and "This OS has the best long-term outlook".

Those are admirable kudos. It's not too shabby being the OS with the
most capabilities and the best long-term outlook. However, with the
exception of the question of open platform--which nobody could suggest
IOS is with a straight face--Android is only marginally ahead of IOS.
The question of capabilities and long-term outlook could easily shift
based on an innovative hardware or software release, or new IOS-based
device platform from Apple.

Apple, on the other hand, leads in survey categories like "Has the
biggest market for my consumer apps", and "Has the biggest market for my
business apps", and "Offers the most 'discoverability' for my apps", and
"I see the platform as being most secure". These are the survey
questions that will dictate where developers are spending time creating
apps, and which platform businesses are most likely to embrace.

The survey categories where Apple is in the lead show IOS crushing
competitors--like 85 percent to 10 percent, or 65 percent to 11 percent.
Aside from the question of most open platform, the areas where Android
is leading are much narrower-- 55 percent to 39 percent for OS
capabilities and 54 percent to 40 percent for best long-term outlook.
Compared against each other, the Android survey results seem like a
consolation prize akin to saying someone has a "nice personality"
because you can't think of anything else nice to say.

MORE:
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/199764/survey_results_paint_android_as_technically_superior_alsoran.html>
From: John Navas on
GOOGLE'S ANDROID WINNING OVER SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS, GAINING GROUND ON
APPLE

Google Inc.�s Android mobile operating system is winning over an
important group of allies in its fledgling rivalry with Apple Inc.�s
smartphone software: application developers.

More than half the 2,733 developers surveyed by Appcelerator, a
mobile-software tools provider, see Android as having the most long-term
potential among operating systems. About 40 percent of respondents said
Apple�s iOS would have the best long-term outlook, according to the
survey released today.

The study yields another signal that Android is gaining steam on iOS,
which will power the new iPhone 4, Bloomberg Businessweek.com reported.
With some 60 Android-based devices and more than 60,000 apps available,
the operating system is adding more than 100,000 users daily, according
to Mountain View, California-based Google. Android will eclipse iOS as
the world�s second-most-popular mobile operating software in 2012,
researcher Gartner Inc. has said.

�Google and Apple are playing a chess game, and everyone else is playing
catch-up,� said Scott Schwarzhoff, vice president of marketing at
Appcelerator, also in Mountain View.

It�s not just in phones where Android may challenge Apple and other
smartphone software makers, including Microsoft Corp., Research In
Motion Ltd., Palm Inc. and Symbian, the world�s most popular
mobile-operating system. Dozens of manufacturers such as Sony Corp.,
Logitech International SA and Toshiba Corp. are readying tablet
computers, netbooks, set-top boxes, e-readers and televisions that will
run on Android.

MORE:
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-23/google-s-android-winning-over-software-developers-gaining-ground-on-apple.html>
From: nospam on
In article <1qr6265nqosl2v56f6t5g30fctpiqmjkiv(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> With some 60 Android-based devices and more than 60,000 apps available,
> the operating system is adding more than 100,000 users daily, according
> to Mountain View, California-based Google.

apple just added 600,000 iphone users yesterday and today with iphone 4
preorders being fulfilled, and who knows how many more there are who
are still waiting.

> Android will eclipse iOS as
> the world�s second-most-popular mobile operating software in 2012,
> researcher Gartner Inc. has said.

that's a wild guess.

> �Google and Apple are playing a chess game, and everyone else is playing
> catch-up,� said Scott Schwarzhoff, vice president of marketing at
> Appcelerator, also in Mountain View.

that's true.