From: John Navas on
News Analysis: Motorola and Verizon may make the iPhone irrelevant
through the Droid X. For the iPhone, it's 1984 in America again and
Apple has failed to learn the lessons about open systems and buyers'
demand for choice. Apple's products are once again on the road to
marginalization.

Imagine if you will that it's 1984, and Apple's Sledgehammer Gal has
just faded away. Then the Macintosh was Apple Computer's big promise for
the future. It would change everything.

Now flash forward to some incidents that are less memorable in their
visual impact, but perhaps more important to today's computing
environment. Steve Jobs introducing the iPhone 4, and then today,
Motorola and Verizon announcing the Droid X.

When Verizon Vice President John Stratton showed the Droid X in a New
York press conference (which the rest of us got to see in streaming
video), he also showed why Apple hasn't learned the lessons of the
decades that followed 1984.

What Apple should have learned is that open systems work; people don't
want someone else putting limits on them, and that they want choice. The
reason the Macintosh never got much above 10 percent market share (and
subsequently sank below that) is that Apple didn't offer a choice. You
did things Apple's way, or you didn't do them at all.

Now, we're 26 years later and it's the iPhone that has all of the
attention, and once again the lessons of the past haven't been learned.
As was the case with the Macintosh, the iPhone provides a choice between
doing things Apple's way or not doing them at all. You have one source
of applications, one choice of carrier. You can't even write your own
software, which you could at least do in the Mac.

MORE:
<http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/With-the-Droid-X-Debut-Its-Deja-Vu-to-1984-for-Apple-504033/>
From: rico on
John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> News Analysis: Motorola and Verizon may make the iPhone irrelevant
> through the Droid X. For the iPhone, it's 1984 in America again and
> Apple has failed to learn the lessons about open systems and buyers'
> demand for choice. Apple's products are once again on the road to
> marginalization.
>
> Imagine if you will that it's 1984, and Apple's Sledgehammer Gal has
> just faded away. Then the Macintosh was Apple Computer's big promise
> for the future. It would change everything.
>
> Now flash forward to some incidents that are less memorable in their
> visual impact, but perhaps more important to today's computing
> environment. Steve Jobs introducing the iPhone 4, and then today,
> Motorola and Verizon announcing the Droid X.
>
> When Verizon Vice President John Stratton showed the Droid X in a New
> York press conference (which the rest of us got to see in streaming
> video), he also showed why Apple hasn't learned the lessons of the
> decades that followed 1984.
>
> What Apple should have learned is that open systems work; people don't
> want someone else putting limits on them, and that they want choice.
> The reason the Macintosh never got much above 10 percent market share
> (and subsequently sank below that) is that Apple didn't offer a
> choice. You did things Apple's way, or you didn't do them at all.
>
> Now, we're 26 years later and it's the iPhone that has all of the
> attention, and once again the lessons of the past haven't been
> learned. As was the case with the Macintosh, the iPhone provides a
> choice between doing things Apple's way or not doing them at all. You
> have one source of applications, one choice of carrier. You can't even
> write your own software, which you could at least do in the Mac.
>
> MORE:
> <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/With-the-Droid-X-Debut-It
> s-Deja-Vu-to-1984-for-Apple-504033/>

I know you are just reposting press releases etc. But since you've done
some many about the Android OS over the past several weeks I'm hoping
maybe you have some first hand experience with it.

Have you been able to establish a successful VPN connection with a WRT54G
running DD-WRT? Since both a derived from BusyBox Linux one would think
that a VPN between them would be a no brainer. Yet when I can get a
successful connect it will freeze within seconds. I'm currently on Android
2.2.

--
fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
From: John Navas on
On 27 Jun 2010 13:34:30 GMT, in <Xns9DA46198E471Erico(a)74.209.136.82>,
rico <nospam(a)no.domain.com> wrote:

>John Navas <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

>I know you are just reposting press releases etc. But since you've done
>some many about the Android OS over the past several weeks I'm hoping
>maybe you have some first hand experience with it.

I do, currently T-Mobile myTouch 3G (HTC Magic, later 3.5mm Jack
version).

>Have you been able to establish a successful VPN connection with a WRT54G
>running DD-WRT?

I've never tried.

>Since both a derived from BusyBox Linux one would think
>that a VPN between them would be a no brainer. Yet when I can get a
>successful connect it will freeze within seconds. I'm currently on Android
>2.2.

'Fraid I can't help.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>