From: John Navas on
The FCC has called off negotiations with major Internet industry players
to arrive at a compromise for net neutrality. The meetings were an
attempt to come to an amicable agreement over net neutrality rules and
dodge political pressure over FCC jurisdiction and authority--but asking
the fox how to protect the henhouse is generally unwise.

Reports of a secret deal between Verizon and Google for preferential
treatment of Google traffic on Verizon's networks may have been a
catalyst to the breakdown of negotiations. But, whether that is true or
not, the end of the negotiations is great for the future of the
Internet. The FCC is supposed to provide guidance and oversight of these
Internet industry stakeholders--not the other way around.

MORE:
<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/202726/end_of_net_neutrality_negotiations_good_news_for_internet.html>
From: John Slade on
On 8/6/2010 10:00 AM, John Navas wrote:
> The FCC has called off negotiations with major Internet industry players
> to arrive at a compromise for net neutrality. The meetings were an
> attempt to come to an amicable agreement over net neutrality rules and
> dodge political pressure over FCC jurisdiction and authority--but asking
> the fox how to protect the henhouse is generally unwise.
>
> Reports of a secret deal between Verizon and Google for preferential
> treatment of Google traffic on Verizon's networks may have been a
> catalyst to the breakdown of negotiations. But, whether that is true or
> not, the end of the negotiations is great for the future of the
> Internet. The FCC is supposed to provide guidance and oversight of these
> Internet industry stakeholders--not the other way around.
>
> MORE:
> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/202726/end_of_net_neutrality_negotiations_good_news_for_internet.html>

I don't think we can ever have true net neutrality as long
as the major ISPs have control over their networks. They have
deep pockets and elections cost money. So until we get rid of
private campaign financing and private ownership of ISPs and
their internet backbones, we're gonna have problems. The only
real way is for constituents to let their congressional
representation know how they feel about it.

John