From: three-eight-hotel on
Hello all,

I have a problem that is driving me nuts! I have a Motorola SURFboard
(SB5120) cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. I also
have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G).

Initially, the two worked well together, with my PC wired to the
router, and an occaisional laptop connection. Since then, we have
started to add wireless devices to our list of assets (iPhone,
iTouches, iPad, Wii and a wireless printer). Although it seemed like
it was around the time that I enabled the Wii to take advantage of the
network, it appears that I have periodic issues, although less
frequently. (We are using Wii to stream NetFlix movies)

The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!

I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't
enjoy their wireless devices!

This is killing me! Is it the wireless router? Is it the cable
modem? Is it a combination of both??? I'm willing to purchase new
hardware, as long as I know what/who the culprit is.

I've seen a ton of similar threads, but can't seem to narrow in on the
exact problem description and/or a resolution. Any advice is
appreciated! I'm nearly desperate!!!

Thanks and best regards,
Todd
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:38:22 -0700 (PDT), in
<22405c45-7dc2-49c7-9bd7-2f8e8b6b64b5(a)i18g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
three-eight-hotel <tbpeterson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a problem that is driving me nuts! I have a Motorola SURFboard
>(SB5120) cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. I also
>have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G).

Which flavor (version)? Which firmware?

>Initially, the two worked well together, with my PC wired to the
>router, and an occaisional laptop connection. Since then, we have
>started to add wireless devices to our list of assets (iPhone,
>iTouches, iPad, Wii and a wireless printer). Although it seemed like
>it was around the time that I enabled the Wii to take advantage of the
>network, it appears that I have periodic issues, although less
>frequently. (We are using Wii to stream NetFlix movies)
>
>The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
>lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!

How do you know the problem is the cable modem?
Do the lights show it as down?
Did you have Comcast check the status of the cable modem?

>I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
>PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
>takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't
>enjoy their wireless devices!
>
>This is killing me! Is it the wireless router? Is it the cable
>modem? Is it a combination of both??? I'm willing to purchase new
>hardware, as long as I know what/who the culprit is.

The usual problem is the crappy firmware in the WRT54G, not the cable
modem. Upgrade to the latest firmware version. If that does not help,
switch to DD-WRT (build 13525) if you have a compatible model.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: three-eight-hotel on

> Which flavor (version)? Which firmware?
SURFBoard:
Software Version: SB5120-2.19.0.16-SCM00-NOSH
Hardware Version: 4
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.4

LinkSys:
Firmware Version: v8.00.8

> How do you know the problem is thecablemodem?
I don't know the modem is the problem? Assuming, based on ability to
stay on line with the router out of the picture (pc plugged in to
modem directly)

> Do the lights show it as down?
Light do go off, when it goes off-line. Seems to go through a series
of resets???

> Did you have Comcast check the status of thecablemodem?
I did once, and they seemed to indicate that it appeared my modem was
on-line and that they could see it...

> The usual problem is the crappy firmware in the WRT54G, not thecablemodem. Upgrade to the latest firmware version. If that does not help,
> switch to DD-WRT (build 13525) if you have a compatible model.
I'll double-check the latest version of the firmware, as well as
looking into DD-WRT...

Thanks for the quick response!
Todd

From: Peter Pan on
"three-eight-hotel" <tbpeterson(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have a problem that is driving me nuts! I have a Motorola SURFboard
> (SB5120) cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. I also
> have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G).
>
> Initially, the two worked well together, with my PC wired to the
> router, and an occaisional laptop connection. Since then, we have
> started to add wireless devices to our list of assets (iPhone,
> iTouches, iPad, Wii and a wireless printer). Although it seemed like
> it was around the time that I enabled the Wii to take advantage of the
> network, it appears that I have periodic issues, although less
> frequently. (We are using Wii to stream NetFlix movies)
>
> The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
> lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!
>
> I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
> PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
> takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't
> enjoy their wireless devices!
>
> This is killing me! Is it the wireless router? Is it the cable
> modem? Is it a combination of both??? I'm willing to purchase new
> hardware, as long as I know what/who the culprit is.
>
> I've seen a ton of similar threads, but can't seem to narrow in on the
> exact problem description and/or a resolution. Any advice is
> appreciated! I'm nearly desperate!!!
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Todd

had the same prob (balt area, comcast, cable internet, linksys wrt54g,
dropped connectivety now and then)...
in my case it was power to the wireless router (summer, AC power, spikes and
low voltage when ac's kicked on, not bad enuf to make clocks flash 12, but
bad enuf to mess up my wrt thing)
happened to have a battery backed up ups handy, used that instead of the
wall wart, problem solved

simple free test, to help determine the culprit, next time it is dead,
unplug the wall wart (from the power plug on the back of the wrt, not the
wall) and plug it back in again (don't do anything else) if it works again,
you have narrowed it down to transient voltage fluctuations on the ac
line/funky wall wart thing

from what you say above, it isn't actually the cable modem itself (since you
can wire direct to your pc and it works/doesn't drop), so why not try
something free, to help narrow it down?

ps, newer wap/routers have better powerline filtering, and don't do that...
i'd suggest give a try to the free/simple test, and if needed just get a new
wap/router (new linksys/cisco about $60 at walmart)

From: Mike Easter on
three-eight-hotel wrote:

> The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
> lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!

Maybe your provider is throttling your usage that way.

If you are being a bandwidth hog on your neighborhood's last mile, they
should do something about it.

--
Mike Easter