From: Peter Pan on

> "three-eight-hotel" <tbpeterson(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a problem that is driving me nuts! I have a Motorola SURFboard
>> (SB5120) cable modem, and am using Comcast cable services. I also
>> have a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G).
>>
>> Initially, the two worked well together, with my PC wired to the
>> router, and an occaisional laptop connection. Since then, we have
>> started to add wireless devices to our list of assets (iPhone,
>> iTouches, iPad, Wii and a wireless printer). Although it seemed like
>> it was around the time that I enabled the Wii to take advantage of the
>> network, it appears that I have periodic issues, although less
>> frequently. (We are using Wii to stream NetFlix movies)
>>
>> The problem is that the cable modem seems to get knocked off-line, a
>> lot! Sometimes, several times an hour!
>>
>> I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
>> PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
>> takes the wireless router out of play, hence the wife and kids can't
>> enjoy their wireless devices!
>>
>> This is killing me! Is it the wireless router? Is it the cable
>> modem? Is it a combination of both??? I'm willing to purchase new
>> hardware, as long as I know what/who the culprit is.
>>
>> I've seen a ton of similar threads, but can't seem to narrow in on the
>> exact problem description and/or a resolution. Any advice is
>> appreciated! I'm nearly desperate!!!
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Todd

read what you wrote....
" >> I work from home, and end up plugging the cable modem directly into my
>> PC, so I can get through the day, without getting dropped, but it
>> takes the wireless router out of play"

ergo, your cable modem is *NOT* dropping out, so it's the wireless router
that does....
don't understand how you can even wonder which (cable modem or wrt) it is,
when you state very plainly it (cable modem) works.... if it was the cable
modem, it would drop out when connected to your pc too.....

From: three-eight-hotel on
Interesting... I'll give that a try. Thanks!
From: three-eight-hotel on
> Maybe your provider is throttling your usage that way.
I'm not ruling anything out. It seems to occur, though, when nothing
else is using the net.

> If you are being a bandwidth hog on your neighborhood's last mile, they
> should do something about it.
Might be worth a call to see if there is any throttling on their side,
taking place. At least I wouldn't continue thinking I had hardware
issues...
From: three-eight-hotel on
> ergo, yourcablemodemis *NOT* dropping out, so it's thewirelessrouter
> that does....
> don't understand how you can even wonder which (cablemodemor wrt) it is,
> when you state very plainly it (cablemodem) works.... if it was thecablemodem, it would drop out when connected to your pc
> too.....- Hide quoted text -

I don't believe I ever suggested it was the cable modem. I actually
have suspected it to be the wrt all the time... I simply asked, "Is
it the wireless router? Is it the cable modem? Is it a combination
of both???". I was mostly wondering if there was a compatibility
issues with the modem and the router.

Thanks for you input though! I'll test the power, as you suggested
above.

Best Regards,
Todd
From: Char Jackson on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:39:15 -0700 (PDT), three-eight-hotel
<todd(a)thepetersonranch.com> wrote:

>> Which flavor (version)? Which firmware?
>SURFBoard:
> Software Version: SB5120-2.19.0.16-SCM00-NOSH
> Hardware Version: 4
> MIB Version: II
> GUI Version: 1.0
> VxWorks Version: 5.4
>
>> How do you know the problem is thecablemodem?
>I don't know the modem is the problem? Assuming, based on ability to
>stay on line with the router out of the picture (pc plugged in to
>modem directly)
>
>> Do the lights show it as down?
>Light do go off, when it goes off-line. Seems to go through a series
>of resets???

You don't mention which lights go off, which would be very helpful to
know.

You can also check your cable's signal levels by pointing your browser
at http://192.168.100.1/signal.html

The three key areas to note are
- Downstream Power, which should be between +-15dBmV, with +-10dBmV
being desirable,
- Downstream SNR, which should be in the mid to high 30's, with
higher being better,
- Upstream Power, which will probably be over 45dBmV but should be
well below about 55dBmV.

Having said this, I agree that the primary issue seems to be the
router, not the modem, going by what you've provided so far.