From: John Navas on
Poll finds for Android, Chrome OS, MeeGo

Microsoft might be "all in" on tablets, but it's Linux that will
dominate this new category of device, according to latest research.

ABI Research reckons Linux-powered non-smartphone mobile devices will
comprise 62 per cent of operating systems by 2015.

Google's Android and Chrome OS will lead the way, followed by the joint
Intel and Nokia MeeGo effort and the now-Hewlett-Packard-owned Palm
webOS.

Driving Linux on mobile will be the fact each Linux distro uses the
Linux kernel with a unified based of upstream components that
developers, ISVs, and hardware providers can tap.

ABI senior analyst Victoria Fodale said in a statement. "The number of
Linux-oriented initiatives recently seen in the mobile industry
indicates that Linux will be a key technology in the next generation of
netbooks, media tablets, and other mobile devices."

If ABI's right, it will translate into an interesting inversion of the
current state of play in computing, which favors Windows on the PC and
server.

MORE:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/linux_dominates_devices_survey/>
From: Larry on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> Poll finds for Android, Chrome OS, MeeGo
>
> Microsoft might be "all in" on tablets, but it's Linux that will
> dominate this new category of device, according to latest research.
>
> ABI Research reckons Linux-powered non-smartphone mobile devices will
> comprise 62 per cent of operating systems by 2015.
>
> Google's Android and Chrome OS will lead the way, followed by the
joint
> Intel and Nokia MeeGo effort and the now-Hewlett-Packard-owned Palm
> webOS.
>
> Driving Linux on mobile will be the fact each Linux distro uses the
> Linux kernel with a unified based of upstream components that
> developers, ISVs, and hardware providers can tap.
>
> ABI senior analyst Victoria Fodale said in a statement. "The number of
> Linux-oriented initiatives recently seen in the mobile industry
> indicates that Linux will be a key technology in the next generation
of
> netbooks, media tablets, and other mobile devices."
>
> If ABI's right, it will translate into an interesting inversion of the
> current state of play in computing, which favors Windows on the PC and
> server.
>
> MORE:
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/linux_dominates_devices_surve
y/>

John, have you given Meego a spin? It's free.

http://meego.com/devices/netbook/installing-meego-your-netbook

Install it to a 2GB or bigger USB flash with the image installer the
page points you to. They just upgraded a lot of stuff, including Chrome
on Meego with Flash Lite's latest version. The OS boots in seconds and
is VERY fast on a simple netbook like my Samsung NC10. Great new Linux
for lightweight mobile devices coming....free for the asking.

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 03:15:31 +0000, in
<Xns9DB8ECE5E3321noonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>, Larry <noone(a)home.com>
wrote:

>John, have you given Meego a spin? It's free.
>
>http://meego.com/devices/netbook/installing-meego-your-netbook
>
>Install it to a 2GB or bigger USB flash with the image installer the
>page points you to. They just upgraded a lot of stuff, including Chrome
>on Meego with Flash Lite's latest version. The OS boots in seconds and
>is VERY fast on a simple netbook like my Samsung NC10. Great new Linux
>for lightweight mobile devices coming....free for the asking.

Not yet, but it is on my (painfully long) List of Things to Do. ;)

--
John

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow