From: JC Dill on
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
> Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a regular
> wireless router does)?
>
> Verizon wants me to buy a wireless modem/router with my DSL subscription.
>
> Most wireless routers have both wireless and (generally 4) wired ports.
>
> I asked the Verizon rep who said she never got the question before; she
> checked (she said), and came back with "the Verizon modem router is only
> wireless".
>
> OK. I understand her; but I don't believe her. Mainly because I've never
> seen a wireless router that didn't have wired ports.
>
> But, maybe they "broke" their modem/router so that it doesn't have wired
> ports.
>
> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
> any additional wired ports?

There are many different wireless routers. I've never seen one without
at least one wired port - for configuration purposes if nothing else.
You may need to connect to it via ethernet to reconfigure it. Get the
MAKE and MODEL number of the router they are trying to sell you and then
google for info on that particular router.

jc
From: Mike Easter on
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
> Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a regular
> wireless router does)?

There are a number of gateway devices which have wireless and one
ethernet port - so if you need multiple ethernets, you need a switch.

--
Mike Easter
From: Rick on
On 7/16/2010 8:34 PM, John Navas wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:48:46 -0700, in<i1qr4t$9kv$1(a)snarked.org>, "D.
> Stussy"<spam+newsgroups(a)bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:
>

>> Wrong group. You should post to alt.online-service.verizon, not
>> alt.cellular.verizon.
>
> The most appropriate group is arguably comp.dcom.adsl,
> but alt.internet.wireless is certainly a reasonable choice.

I would agree

--

Rick Holbrook
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Reply to: fholbrookatcableone.net

From: News on
alexd wrote:
> Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, John
> Navas chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:51:05 -0700, in <i1r5qo$bv1$1(a)snarked.org>, "D.
>> Stussy" <spam+newsgroups(a)bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:
>
>>> Pay attention. I was only noting the inappropriateness of ONE of the
>>> cross-posted groups.
>> Chill out. Be more tolerant, more polite and clear in what you write.
>
> I can only assume you don't own a mirror.

No kidding.
From: Mike Easter on
Judy Zappacosta wrote:
Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless, alt.cellular.verizon

You shouldn't be crossposting your message into verizon cellular.
Cellular means verizon's cellphone service, not residential broadband
internet connectivity.

> Yes. Verizon is making me buy a "modem",

Verizon has all kinds of plans. Any modem you use has to be compatible
with the DSL connectivity provider. I expect having a Verizon DSL
doesn't require that you buy their modem, but that you have a compatible
one.

The other variable in the installation process is how installation will
be accomplished, as a do-it-yourself or as a tech install.

A typical package for the neophyte would be to have a tech install and
the tech brings the modem and you get all the bills.

A typical install for someone else would be they have their own modem
and they do their own install and they save some money.

> either a wired one for about $35
> (IIRC) or a modem with a wireless router for about $15 more ... so I went
> with the modem with wireless router.
>
> I didn't think to ask if it was mandatory that I get the modem from them.
>
> Can someone concur whether it's mandatory that I buy the modem (in this
> case, a modem plus wireless router) from them?

I doubt if it is mandatory, but you might have less options if you are
having the tech install.

--
Mike Easter