From: Judy Zappacosta on
Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a regular
wireless router does)?

Verizon wants me to buy a wireless modem/router with my DSL subscription.

Most wireless routers have both wireless and (generally 4) wired ports.

I asked the Verizon rep who said she never got the question before; she
checked (she said), and came back with "the Verizon modem router is only
wireless".

OK. I understand her; but I don't believe her. Mainly because I've never
seen a wireless router that didn't have wired ports.

But, maybe they "broke" their modem/router so that it doesn't have wired
ports.

If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
any additional wired ports?
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:48:03 +0000 (UTC), in
<75166f18d0fd9840d39a2e1dec81a4bd(a)tioat.net>, Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a regular
>wireless router does)?
>
>Verizon wants me to buy a wireless modem/router with my DSL subscription.
>
>Most wireless routers have both wireless and (generally 4) wired ports.
>
>I asked the Verizon rep who said she never got the question before; she
>checked (she said), and came back with "the Verizon modem router is only
>wireless".
>
>OK. I understand her; but I don't believe her. Mainly because I've never
>seen a wireless router that didn't have wired ports.
>
>But, maybe they "broke" their modem/router so that it doesn't have wired
>ports.
>
>If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
>any additional wired ports?

Depends on what product you get. If the Westell 327W, see
<http://www.westell.com/content/products/pdf/030_300444A.pdf>

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: terrable on

"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in message news:75166f18d0fd9840d39a2e1dec81a4bd(a)tioat.net...
> Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a
> regular
> wireless router does)?
>
> Verizon wants me to buy a wireless modem/router with my DSL subscription.
>
> Most wireless routers have both wireless and (generally 4) wired ports.
>
> I asked the Verizon rep who said she never got the question before; she
> checked (she said), and came back with "the Verizon modem router is only
> wireless".
>
> OK. I understand her; but I don't believe her. Mainly because I've never
> seen a wireless router that didn't have wired ports.
>
> But, maybe they "broke" their modem/router so that it doesn't have wired
> ports.
>
> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
> any additional wired ports?

The Westell 327W DSL modem is a 4 port hardwired router with wireless.

If Verizon is making you buy a DSL modem then just buy one on Ebay. There is
a glut of Westell 327W DSL modems so you can buy one for less than $20.

If you don't like Westell DSL modems, then look for an ActionTec.

From: D. Stussy on
"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in message news:75166f18d0fd9840d39a2e1dec81a4bd(a)tioat.net...
> Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a
regular
> wireless router does)?
>
> Verizon wants me to buy a wireless modem/router with my DSL subscription.
>
> Most wireless routers have both wireless and (generally 4) wired ports.
>
> I asked the Verizon rep who said she never got the question before; she
> checked (she said), and came back with "the Verizon modem router is only
> wireless".
>
> OK. I understand her; but I don't believe her. Mainly because I've never
> seen a wireless router that didn't have wired ports.
>
> But, maybe they "broke" their modem/router so that it doesn't have wired
> ports.
>
> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it
has
> any additional wired ports?

Wrong group. You should post to alt.online-service.verizon, not
alt.cellular.verizon.

From: John Navas on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:48:46 -0700, in <i1qr4t$9kv$1(a)snarked.org>, "D.
Stussy" <spam+newsgroups(a)bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote:

>Wrong group. You should post to alt.online-service.verizon, not
>alt.cellular.verizon.

The most appropriate group is arguably comp.dcom.adsl,
but alt.internet.wireless is certainly a reasonable choice.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]