From: terrable on

"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in message news:f64d8e059eb986ec35a32b080c3e68f3(a)tioat.net...
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:39:46 -0400, terrable wrote:
>
>> If Verizon is making you buy a DSL modem then just buy one on Ebay. There
>> is
>> a glut of Westell 327W DSL modems so you can buy one for less than $20.
>> If you don't like Westell DSL modems, then look for an ActionTec.
>

> Yes. Verizon is making me buy a "modem", either a wired one for about $35
> (IIRC) or a modem with a wireless router for about $15 more ... so I went
> with the modem with wireless router.
>
> I didn't think to ask if it was mandatory that I get the modem from them.
>
> Can someone concur whether it's mandatory that I buy the modem (in this
> case, a modem plus wireless router) from them?

No, it is not mandatory that you buy your DSL modem from Verizon. Just tell
them that you will supply your own Verizon DSL modem.

From: Steve Sobol on
In article <f64d8e059eb986ec35a32b080c3e68f3(a)tioat.net>,
zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid says...

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:39:46 -0400, terrable wrote:
>
> > If Verizon is making you buy a DSL modem then just buy one on Ebay. There is
> > a glut of Westell 327W DSL modems so you can buy one for less than $20.
> > If you don't like Westell DSL modems, then look for an ActionTec.
>

> Yes. Verizon is making me buy a "modem", either a wired one for about $35
> (IIRC) or a modem with a wireless router for about $15 more ... so I went
> with the modem with wireless router.
>
> I didn't think to ask if it was mandatory that I get the modem from them.

It's not. Best Buy, for example, sells DSL modems that are compatible
with Verizon's network.

> Can someone concur whether it's mandatory that I buy the modem (in
this
> case, a modem plus wireless router) from them?

It's not mandatory.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
sjsobol(a)JustThe.net
From: Gordon on
Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in news:056c08ffe4389aed4bcdfcd5d5284c9a(a)tioat.net:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:39:46 -0400, terrable wrote:
>>> If Verizon is making you buy a DSL modem then just buy one on Ebay.
>>> There is a glut of Westell 327W DSL modems so you can buy one for
>>> less than $20. If you don't like Westell DSL modems, then look for
>>> an ActionTec.
>
> (Fixed the newsgroups to the recommended list.)
>
> I didn't realize that we didn't have to buy the DSL modem from Verizon
> and pay their setup fees. I never had DSL before because I was always
> more than 18,200 feet from their central office but now I moved to
> just over 13,000 feet so they said I was within range.
>
> As suggested, I called them today at 877-896-3389 to ask the BRAND of
> modem/router but they only have the automated system available on
> Sunday, which told me the modem/wireless router already shipped, so
> I'll know soon enough if it has 4 wired ports or just one or even none
> as the saleslady told me (which I just can't believe).
>
> I will call Verizon DSL tomorrow but can you give me some ammo.
> Can I refuse the modem/wireless router they send me and just buy my
> own?

I wouldn't just refuse the shipment.
When you get the modem, check the brand and model number.
Then look it up on the internet. Specificly, the manufacturer's
web site. Hint: there are several types of DSL modems. Make note
of what type Verizon sends you. Then, if you want to go out and
get your own,you know what type to get. Then get an RMA from
Verizon to return the one they sent you.
From: Judy Zappacosta on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:17:28 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:
> It's not mandatory.

I called Verizon just now. It's not mandatory as you said. They said it was
an "ActionTec Gateway" but they didn't have any further information on it
(like the model number).

Googling, I see the following models:
- Actiontec EN DSL
- Actiontec Wireless DSL Gateway GT701WG
- Actiontec Wireless Gateway Router 802MR-W
etc.

It's already shipped, they said. They said if I want to buy my own, I can
refuse the UPS guy but then I won't know what one to get.

Do all work (I think someone said I have to get the right one for Verizon).

WHICH ActionTec Gateway you recommend?
From: Peter Pan on
"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in message news:def695ed8351103c63aac71c211e26eb(a)tioat.net...
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:17:28 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:
>> It's not mandatory.
>
> I called Verizon just now. It's not mandatory as you said. They said it
> was
> an "ActionTec Gateway" but they didn't have any further information on it
> (like the model number).
>
> Googling, I see the following models:
> - Actiontec EN DSL
> - Actiontec Wireless DSL Gateway GT701WG
> - Actiontec Wireless Gateway Router 802MR-W
> etc.
>
> It's already shipped, they said. They said if I want to buy my own, I can
> refuse the UPS guy but then I won't know what one to get.
>
> Do all work (I think someone said I have to get the right one for
> Verizon).
>
> WHICH ActionTec Gateway you recommend?

none.. they are all caca, and most do *NOT* do wired.....

note this....(buried in the description paragraph)
However, the current Actiontec GT 701 DSL Gateway has only one Ethernet port
and only one USB port for one computer.

love the weasel word "however".... lie your brains out/make outlandish
absurd claims, and then negate whatever you say by using the weasel word
"however"