From: John Navas on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:17:40 -0400, in
<i24454$ng2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "Chris S."
<cside38(a)nospamverizon.net> wrote:

>Amen....

>>[HUGE SNIP]

When you post a one-word reply, please at least have the courtesy to
trim the quote down to the relevant portion. Thanks.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Judy Zappacosta on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta wrote:
> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
> any additional wired ports?

Well, the modem/wireless router from Verizon arrived w/o me being able to
refuse it. It was waiting for me when I got home from work today.

The Verizon sales person lied. It has FOUR wired ports, One input port, one
USB port, and one power plug. It's an Actiontec GT704WG.

Weird that it has a WEP key on the sticker on the bottom (what would THAT
be for?). I plan on using WPA2-PSK but I didn't even ask if it handles that
encryption level.

Any idea if paying 60 or so for this router is worth it; and what's the WEP
key on the bottom for?
From: Charlie Hoffpauir on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:51:13 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta wrote:
>> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
>> any additional wired ports?
>
>Well, the modem/wireless router from Verizon arrived w/o me being able to
>refuse it. It was waiting for me when I got home from work today.
>
>The Verizon sales person lied. It has FOUR wired ports, One input port, one
>USB port, and one power plug. It's an Actiontec GT704WG.
>
>Weird that it has a WEP key on the sticker on the bottom (what would THAT
>be for?). I plan on using WPA2-PSK but I didn't even ask if it handles that
>encryption level.
>
>Any idea if paying 60 or so for this router is worth it; and what's the WEP
>key on the bottom for?

Check the user comments at Amazon, where it sells for $40...

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-GT704WG-54Mbps-Wireless-G-Gateway/dp/B0002F8QYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279681397&sr=8-1
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
From: Char Jackson on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:51:13 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta wrote:
>> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has
>> any additional wired ports?
>
>Well, the modem/wireless router from Verizon arrived w/o me being able to
>refuse it. It was waiting for me when I got home from work today.
>
>The Verizon sales person lied. It has FOUR wired ports, One input port, one
>USB port, and one power plug. It's an Actiontec GT704WG.
>
>Weird that it has a WEP key on the sticker on the bottom (what would THAT
>be for?). I plan on using WPA2-PSK but I didn't even ask if it handles that
>encryption level.
>
>Any idea if paying 60 or so for this router is worth it; and what's the WEP
>key on the bottom for?

If it's like the 2Wire DSL modems that are popular around here, it's
simply a pre-configured default. In other words, the DSL modem comes
configured to use WEP, and that's the currently configured key. Feel
free to change the encryption type, (it looks like some of the better
standards are supported), and of course you can also change the key at
the same time.

From: terrable on

"Judy Zappacosta" <zappajNOSPAM(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote
in message news:08f422b43331a816e1a5cfc7c3bcb341(a)tioat.net...
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta wrote:
>> If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it
>> has
>> any additional wired ports?
>
> Well, the modem/wireless router from Verizon arrived w/o me being able to
> refuse it. It was waiting for me when I got home from work today.
>
> The Verizon sales person lied. It has FOUR wired ports, One input port,
> one
> USB port, and one power plug. It's an Actiontec GT704WG.
>
> Weird that it has a WEP key on the sticker on the bottom (what would THAT
> be for?). I plan on using WPA2-PSK but I didn't even ask if it handles
> that
> encryption level.
>
> Any idea if paying 60 or so for this router is worth it; and what's the
> WEP
> key on the bottom for?

You can buy a Actiontec GT704WG on Ebay with "Buy It Now" for $32.00 total
($25.00 plus $7.00 shipping). You could probably get one cheaper by bidding
on them.