From: John Navas on
AT&T's move to jettison its unlimited mobile data plan and charge more
for heavier use puts a roadblock in the plans of media providers trying
to push Internet TV, according to a report released Tuesday by iSuppli.

Faced with more people grabbing more data, AT&T recently switched to a
tiered pricing plan in hopes of limiting the strain on its 3G networks
from devices like the iPhone and iPad. And Verizon is likely to follow
suit.

But those caps pose the question of how providers will satisfy the
growing demand for streaming media without the support of the wireless
carriers to allow unlimited content to pass through their networks.

"iSuppli believes that most of the emerging streaming Internet models
are mistaken in postulating that they could displace, over time,
traditional television and movie delivery mechanisms without paying for
related network costs," William Kidd, director and principal analyst for
financial services at iSuppli, said in a statement.

Streaming media in particular presents unknown risks to the broadband
carriers, Kidd added, and will likely force more of them to set up caps
to limit data usage. To make the leap to Internet TV, consumers may
expect the content to be comparable in both quality and entertainment
value to what they get now with traditional TV. But to reach that level,
such content would end up being extremely bandwidth heavy and could bend
or break the caps put in place.

As examples posed by iSuppli, people could bump up against a cap by
viewing low-quality streaming content on a wireless device for three
hours or by watching standard-definition streamed content on a wired
network for 25 hours. But caps could also be reached by streaming a
high-definition signal in just seven hours over the network of a cable
provider like Comcast.

"These new-media business models imagine that they don't have to pay the
network through which their data traverse," Kidd noted. "However, such a
theory is directly at odds with the ambitions of cable and satellite-TV
operators, which increasingly are unwilling to provide heavy data access
through their networks for free--especially if a way can be found to
monetize ongoing data traffic into viable revenue streams."

MORE: <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20011171-94.html>
From: Larry on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> And Verizon is likely to follow
> suit.

Verizon is the LEADER in lowering bandwidth to streaming and high usage
websites.

All the carriers are screwing around like them. Cricket has 600Kbps cap on
the $40/mo plan....UNTIL you click YOUTUBE for a video, then it magically
drops to LESS than the damned video playback speed, about 110Kbps for 360p
Flash video. Isn't that a miracle?!

They'll all do what they can to stop you from actually USING what they are
charging so much for. 5GB for $60/mo is nothing but a ripoff. SMS is a
FAR MORE ripoff at $2M/GB, the most expensive data rate on the planet!

Sellphone companies have never gotten used to NOT selling it for
$1.99/MB......like the bad old days they LONG to repeat!

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

From: Steve Sobol on
In article <a6lg46p3fq6h7feqbvvaakktuovct15p03(a)4ax.com>, spamfilter1
@navasgroup.com says...

> AT&T's move to jettison its unlimited mobile data plan and charge more
> for heavier use puts a roadblock in the plans of media providers trying
> to push Internet TV, according to a report released Tuesday by iSuppli.

Haven't I posted in various cellular newsgroups before, asking how these
bandwith caps are going to work in light of services that are
increasingly data-intensive?

Yes I have.

OK, only Verizon and AT&T are getting rid of the unlimited plans, but
Sprint and T-Mo have bandwidth caps. No one is truly offering flat-rate
unlimited mobile broadband.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
sjsobol(a)JustThe.net
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:00:20 -0700, in
<MPG.26b2978bec9e2c6a9899ca(a)news.justthe.net>, Steve Sobol
<sjsobol(a)JustThe.net> wrote:

>In article <a6lg46p3fq6h7feqbvvaakktuovct15p03(a)4ax.com>, spamfilter1
>@navasgroup.com says...
>
>> AT&T's move to jettison its unlimited mobile data plan and charge more
>> for heavier use puts a roadblock in the plans of media providers trying
>> to push Internet TV, according to a report released Tuesday by iSuppli.
>
>Haven't I posted in various cellular newsgroups before, asking how these
>bandwith caps are going to work in light of services that are
>increasingly data-intensive?
>
>Yes I have.
>
>OK, only Verizon and AT&T are getting rid of the unlimited plans, but
>Sprint and T-Mo have bandwidth caps. No one is truly offering flat-rate
>unlimited mobile broadband.

No one ever really has.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 03:34:38 +0000, in
<Xns9DBDEFB0BF900noonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>, Larry <noone(a)home.com>
wrote:

>Leap Communications is mentioned as one of the MVNOs that will be buying
>the 29,000 tower 4G LTE Nokia Siemens Networks will soon install into
>America that was announced a few days ago. Leap Communications is Cricket!
>I suspect that's when Cricket will migrate to LTE 4G.

"Soon" = years, especially to get any sort of national coverage.
In other words, don't hold your breath. ;)