From: Rick on
John Navas wrote:
> The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
> worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
> for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
> Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.
>
> Antivirus products for Symbian smartphones have been available for
> years, but not one antivirus product is available for the iPhone, from
> any vendor. Releasing such tools would require the help of Apple, which
> tightly controls what applications are licensed to run on the devices
> via its successful AppStore marketplace.
>
> But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
> jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.
>
> MORE: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25/iphone_anti_malware/>

I think that the real question here is why anyone would buy an iPhone.
They are totally unreliable in hot climates; Furthermore, Apple has
about the worst support of any hardware/software company that I have
ever dealt with. I got rid of my iPod when I discovered the support was
basically non existent. I think that Apple's support sucks Donkeys and
if I never see another Apple product in my life I will have missed nothing

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

From: Not Me on
Rick wrote:
> John Navas wrote:
>> The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
>> worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
>> for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
>> Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.
>>
>> Antivirus products for Symbian smartphones have been available for
>> years, but not one antivirus product is available for the iPhone, from
>> any vendor. Releasing such tools would require the help of Apple, which
>> tightly controls what applications are licensed to run on the devices
>> via its successful AppStore marketplace.
>>
>> But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
>> jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
>> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.
>>
>> MORE: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25/iphone_anti_malware/>
>>
> I think that the real question here is why anyone would buy an iPhone.
> They are totally unreliable in hot climates; Furthermore, Apple has
> about the worst support of any hardware/software company that I have
> ever dealt with. I got rid of my iPod when I discovered the support was
> basically non existent. I think that Apple's support sucks Donkeys and
> if I never see another Apple product in my life I will have missed nothing

Interesting. Fargo, ND isn't exactly tropical...
From: "WindsorFox [SS]>" on
John Navas wrote:
> The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
> worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
> for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
> Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.
>
> Antivirus products for Symbian smartphones have been available for
> years, but not one antivirus product is available for the iPhone, from
> any vendor. Releasing such tools would require the help of Apple, which
> tightly controls what applications are licensed to run on the devices
> via its successful AppStore marketplace.
>
> But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
> jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.
>
> MORE: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25/iphone_anti_malware/>

C'mon John, everyone knows there's no such thing as a McIntosh virus....

--
..

Well, it was important enough for several folks to
comment on. Fortunately, they were not burdened
by Microsoft shitware which fails to properly
implement a decade-old standard. - Sam
From: "WindsorFox [SS]>" on
George Kerby wrote:

> On 11/30/09 2:14 PM, in article hf193p$c7n$2(a)posting2.glorb.com,
> "WindsorFox<[SS]>" <windsor.fox.usenet(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
>>> worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
>>> for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
>>> Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.
>>>
>>> Antivirus products for Symbian smartphones have been available for
>>> years, but not one antivirus product is available for the iPhone, from
>>> any vendor. Releasing such tools would require the help of Apple, which
>>> tightly controls what applications are licensed to run on the devices
>>> via its successful AppStore marketplace.
>>>
>>> But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
>>> jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
>>> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.
>>>
>>> MORE: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25/iphone_anti_malware/>
>>>
>> C'mon John, everyone knows there's no such thing as a McIntosh virus....
>
> I really did not believe that audio high fidelity equipment was prone to
> computer viri!
>
> Well, goes to show you that one can learn something every day from the
> geniuses on Usenet, doesn't it?

Just shows where my interests lie doesn't it...

--
..

From: "WindsorFox [SS]>" on
nospam wrote:
> In article <hf3fv5$kd1$1(a)posting2.glorb.com>, WindsorFox
> <windsor.fox.usenet(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Someone said it's impossible to get malware on an iPhone, my question
>> was are you willing to bet everything you have on that belief?
>
> nothing is impossible so your question is basically a straw man.

It was not I that said it, but it still does not negate the question

> the point is that the risk of iphone malware is effectively zero
> because everything is codesigned and sandboxed. someone would have to
> find an exploit and then figure out how to turn it into something evil.
> not that simple.

You just said it again, "effectively zero." ARE you or not willing
to risk everything that you own on that fact? Simple.

--
..

"A smorgasbord of tomfoolery" - L0afy