From: John Navas on
The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.

Antivirus products for Symbian smartphones have been available for
years, but not one antivirus product is available for the iPhone, from
any vendor. Releasing such tools would require the help of Apple, which
tightly controls what applications are licensed to run on the devices
via its successful AppStore marketplace.

But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.

MORE: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25/iphone_anti_malware/>

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: Kurt Ullman on
In article <dmkqg5po1p78fahabtqigc768nam6dg4as(a)4ax.com>,
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
> worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
> for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
> Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.
>
> But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
> jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.
>
> MORE: <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/25/iphone_anti_malware/>

Let me get this straight. You are taking Apple to task because they
are not saving people from themselves? I would agree from Apple's
standpoint. They wanna screw with the phones, it is hardly Apple's
responsibility to save them from their own idiocy.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

From: nospam on
In article <dmkqg5po1p78fahabtqigc768nam6dg4as(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> The blaze of publicity that accompanied the release of the first iPhone
> worms this month has sparked interest in selling anti-malware products
> for the device. However no such security products currently exist and
> Apple shows little inclination in licensing any that do get developed.

why would apple have an inclination for anti-malware software? out of
the box, it's basically impossible for an iphone to have any malware.

malware can only run on the iphone *if* the user jailbreaks their phone
*and* installs ssh *and* leaves it open with the default password. none
of that is supported by apple, and, apple has been continually making
it more difficult to jailbreak.

> Antivirus products for Symbian smartphones have been available for
> years,

admitting that a platform is open to attack and needing anti-virus
software is not something about which to be proud.

> but not one antivirus product is available for the iPhone, from
> any vendor. Releasing such tools would require the help of Apple, which
> tightly controls what applications are licensed to run on the devices
> via its successful AppStore marketplace.

which also means that the malware would require approval, so in effect,
there is no problem unless the user jailbreaks the phone, which is
something beyond apple's control.

> But since both the ikee (Rickrolling) and Duh worms affect only
> jailbroken iPhones (with SSH open and default passwords) the line from
> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.

and apple is correct.
From: David Moyer on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Apple is that there's no need for anti-malware for iPhones.

yes, there is never a need for that on iphones since all developers have
signed contracts disallowing that type of behavior, they'd be liable and
sued into oblivion. plus they are all unix based phones so nothing can
spread unless a default password/username was known.
From: nospam on
In article <hf3fv5$kd1$1(a)posting2.glorb.com>, WindsorFox
<windsor.fox.usenet(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone said it's impossible to get malware on an iPhone, my question
> was are you willing to bet everything you have on that belief?

nothing is impossible so your question is basically a straw man.

the point is that the risk of iphone malware is effectively zero
because everything is codesigned and sandboxed. someone would have to
find an exploit and then figure out how to turn it into something evil.
not that simple.