From: jc on
Hello,

I am developing an MFC application that uses
the Task Scheduler. The application works
OK, as long as the user specifies the
DOMAIN\USERNAME and a Password.
However, if the user logs-in using a local account,
and the local account does not have a password,
then the Tasks do not run.

I noticed, in the Task Scheduler, that Apple
has a task scheduled that uses SYSTEM.
I am assuming Apple's task uses:
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

What is the SYSTEM password?

TIA,
-jc
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Microsoft has some totally weird ideas about password security. For example, on XP, if
the user account does not have a password, network shares are not available. I have no
idea why anything this stupid could be thought of as solving anything.

If an account doesn't have a password, it means the creator of the account either doesn't
care about security, or knows that allowing anyone to log in on that account will not
compromise the system integrity. It is not up to Microsoft to try to "outguess" what
might have been intended.
joe

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 21:20:53 -0700, jc <jc(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am developing an MFC application that uses
>the Task Scheduler. The application works
>OK, as long as the user specifies the
>DOMAIN\USERNAME and a Password.
>However, if the user logs-in using a local account,
>and the local account does not have a password,
>then the Tasks do not run.
>
>I noticed, in the Task Scheduler, that Apple
>has a task scheduled that uses SYSTEM.
>I am assuming Apple's task uses:
>NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
>
>What is the SYSTEM password?