From: Chris on
I've got a pretty simple SBS2003 w/SP2 standard edition setup but am suddenly
having issues with my backups. I know they have worked in the past, but a
few weeks ago they stopped functioning and here is the error report from
ntbackup:

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0x80042306

I've already disabled and re-enabled shadow copy on my 2 partitions and also
tried sending the backup to different destinations. I can't find any
reference to this error on the web so I would ceretainly appreciate some help
here.

Chris
From: Steven Zhu [MSFT] on
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: when you perform a
backup task, you receive the following error message from NtBackup:
================
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy: 0x80042306
================
If I am off base, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my knowledge, please perform the following troubleshooting steps:

1. The issue may occur if there is corrupted data on the drive to be backed
up. Please run CHKDSK on each drive with the /f switch to fix the errors on
the disk (if there are any).

2. Per my experience, this issue can be due to VSS thinks the system is
still in setup process. Please perform the steps below to check the status.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Open the registry and locate the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

Ensure both registry values are set to 0:

- SystemSetupInProgress
- UpgradeInProgress

3. If the issue still happens, reinstall COM+ by following these steps:

A. Backup and then delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\COM3

B. Boot to Recovery console and rename clbcatq.dll to ~clbcatq.dll. Be sure
to use the tilde.

C. Boot to normal mode and in Control Panel, open the Add or Remove
Programs tool, and then open the Add/Remove Windows Components tool. Do not
make any changes, just click "Next". This reinstalls COM+.

NOTE: You must have your Windows Server 2003 SP1 files available during
this step.

I hope the above information helps.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

From: Chris on
I had already used chkdsk with no reported issues. The Shadow Copy system
works fine as it does correctly create backups on schedule or manually with
no errors. The registry keys you mentioned were already configured as your
recommendation so no change was needed there. I will try the reinstall COM+
instructions after hours but if there any other options, please let me know.
Thanks.

Chris

From: Steven Zhu [MSFT] on
Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Based on your reply, please try the following steps:

1. Stop the Volume Shadow Copy service: Open a command prompt and change
directories to \WINDOWS\system32 (this is important when you begin
registering the DLLs):

net stop vss

2. Then register the following DLLs and services (be sure you're still in
the WINDOWS\system32 directory at your command prompt):

regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Start the Volume Shadow Copy service by running "net start vss", do a test
backup and see how it goes.

To further analyze the issue, refer to the following KB article to enable
the VSS debug tracing log:

887013 How to enable the Volume Shadow Copy service's debug tracing
features in Microsoft Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887013

Run the backup with the tracing enabled. After reproducing the problem, run
the following command to find out which VSS writer is timing out:

vssadmin list writers

And then, send the VSS debug tracing log trace.txt, and MPSReport to my
work address: v-stezhu(a)microsoft.com. The MPSReport utility is available at:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

Thanks and have a great day.