From: Kenneth on
When I invoke NTBackup to backup C drive (win2003 system partition), it failed.
And it show the error message:
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "20061201_C.bkf created 12/1/2006 at 2:14 PM"

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0x80042308.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042308
Aborting Backup.

And I took a look at the Event log, I found two errors:
1.
Source:VSS
Event ID:12305
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Volume/disk not connected or not found.
Error context:
DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{8d58c0cb-37b8-11d8-be38-806e6f6e6963} -
00000130,0x0053c008,00038180,0,00039188,4096,[0]).

2.
Source:NTBackup
Event ID:8019
End Operation: Warnings or errors were encountered.
Consult the backup report for more details.

Please help us solve this problem...
--
Thank you very much for help.
From: Terence Liu [MSFT] on
Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, I understand that you get error 8019 when you backup c
driver. If I am off base, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can
resolve this issue:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2. Right-click Shared Folders, point to All Tasks, and then click Configure
Shadow Copies.

3. In the Select a volume list, click the C drive that you want to backup.

4. Click Settings, and then click the destination drive for the shadow copy
in the Located on this volume list.

Note To appear in the Located on this volume list, the destination drive
must contain a share.

5. If you do not want to configure a limit to the size of the shadow copy,
click No limit.

6. Click OK, and then click Enable.

7. Click Yes to enable shadow copies.

Note There may be a delay while the initial shadow copy is created.

8. Click OK and test this issue.

Then, I have to confirm with you that if your Exchange Server 2003 database
files are located on the same drive as the Windows Server 2003 operating
system? If yes, this issue occurs because there is a limitation of the
NTBackup program. When the Exchange Server 2003 databases are on the system
drive, and you perform a System State backup, the Exchange Server 2003
storage group is frozen during the System State backup operation. Because
of this, the streaming backup of the Exchange Server 2003 databases cannot
start. You cannot perform two simultaneous backups on the same storage
group.

Method 1: Perform Separate Backup Operations
===========
Configure separate backup operations for the System State and the Exchange
Server 2003 databases. After the System State backup is complete, the
storage group is unfrozen and may be backed up successfully.

Method 2: Move the Exchange Server 2003 Database Files
===========
Move the Exchange Server 2003 databases to a drive other than the operating
system drive. This permits you to back up both the Exchange Server 2003
databases and the System State information at the same time.

If the problem persists after above steps, please kindly help me collect
some information for further investigation:

Please help me to gather the Backup logs:

a. The Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.

b. The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

I appreciate your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please feel
free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support