From: Edward A. Weissbard on
I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
to this freeware program:

http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

Thanks,

--
Edward A. Weissbard
El Paso, TX

"Life is easy with eyes closed"

From: smackedass on

>I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS
>partition
> and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
> program called NTFSforDOS.

This is good to know. I hope to God that I never have to use it...

smackedass

From: Gerard Bok on
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:21:37 GMT, "Edward A. Weissbard"
<eweissbard(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
>and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
>program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
>boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
>thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
>to this freeware program:
>
>http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

Sure. One other way is BartPE. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Which has as a major advantage, that the actual writing to NTFS
partitions is done by Microsoft Windows.
Which may not be a bad idee, given the poor compatibility record
of 'third party writing to ntfs'-software.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
From: Edward A. Weissbard on
Thanks for the other information Gerard.

From: Bob on
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:21:37 GMT, "Edward A. Weissbard"
<eweissbard(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
>and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
>program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
>boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
>thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
>to this freeware program:
>
>http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

I have used that utility but it does not obey the complete MS-DOS
syntax. For example it does very little in the way of filename
expansion, forcing the user to employ '*.*' more often than needed.
There are some other quirks but I have forgotten them. Nevertheless
for a free utility, it has proven very useful once you learn how to
work around its quirks.

--

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."