From: Gaiseric Vandal on
It didn't work for me on Sun with Samba 3.0.37 either. I was under
the impression (quite possibly wrong) that for Win 7 support you would
need Samba 3.3.x or 3.4.x anyway. I have been testing the
sunfreeware.com version of samba 3.4.x (full zfs support seems to be
missing) and compiling it from scratch (getting kerberos enabled is a
problem.) And hoping that a Sun-provided build of 3.4.x comes out
sometime in the next 6 months. 3.0.x line is hitting a dead end.
(Dell has made our life easier in 2009 by still shipping us machines
with XP.) I have an open ticket with Sun on separate issue with
3.0.37 so I am hoping this will let me find out what their plans are.

On 12/27/09 19:29, Jake Carroll wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just looking for some guidance as to what works, and what doesn't.
>
> Recently I've noticed that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get NTLMv2 to negotiate using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6.x against Solaris 10 Samba 3.0.37.
>
> If I 'tune' the client OS that it only negotiates with NTLMv1, all is well. In my global block, on the Solaris Samba server, I have:
>
> [global]
> client lanman auth=no
> client ntlmv2 auth=yes
> ntlm auth = no
>
> Now, I'd have thought that this would be enough to make NTLMv2 work along it's merry way - but apparently not. Whenever I attempt to connect and negotiate using NTLMv2, the client OS is given a generic 'incorrect username or password' response.
>
> So - the question. Does 3.0.37 actually even support NTLMv2? Am I doing something wrong in trying to turn it 'on'? Sun aren't talking, but I'm sure somebody here would know the history behind this...
>
> Thanks all.
>
> JC

From everything I've read and experienced, version 3.3.4 was the earliest
Samba version that was demonstrated to be able to support Windows 7 (with
the proper registry entries).

Blessings,
David

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 08:04, Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> It didn't work for me on Sun with Samba 3.0.37 either.    I was under the
> impression (quite possibly wrong)  that for Win 7 support you would need
> Samba 3.3.x or 3.4.x anyway.    I have been testing the sunfreeware.com
> version of samba 3.4.x (full zfs support seems to be missing) and compiling
> it from scratch (getting kerberos enabled is a problem.)  And hoping that a
> Sun-provided build of 3.4.x comes out sometime in the next 6 months.  3.0.x
> line is hitting a dead end.    (Dell has made our life easier in 2009 by
> still shipping us machines with XP.)    I have an open ticket with Sun on
> separate issue with 3.0.37 so I am hoping this will let me find out what
> their plans are.

Their plans are to push 3.4:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=120279&tstart=15

--