From: "Us at home" <"Us at on
I have a frustrating problem with XP.
When using "The Master Genealogist" and trying to print to WORD 2000,
the program locks up. So, using windows task manager, I see that
95-97% of the cpu's usage is tied up with NTVDM.EXE.
Trying any version of word gets the same result.
When I print to adobe PDF, it'll work every time. Printing to ASCII is
fine. I've used McAfee and AdAware SE+ and found nothing.
I bought registry mechanic, to see if anything was there that might hang
up - no change. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a number of times,
even in safe-mode - no change. I've run CHKDSK /F a number of times
I've been working with TMG's support group, and they've run out of ideas.
I sent my data file to him last nite and he could run it without any
problems.
My PC:
XP Pro SP2; 2 - 80 GB HD, primary and backup - using only about 30 GB each.
1 GB RAM; WORD 2002 SP3; and I hope that covers everything.
Oh yeah, I can run cmd & msconfig ok. reading the windows help,
one article said try to run sysedit.exe. It doesn't run and I'm back
to full cpu usage. The article said to reload some individual files
from the CD.
Only thing is the version on my PC is newer than the CD.

Thanks in advance to all.
Rich

From: Weatherlawyer on

Us at home wrote:

> I have a frustrating problem with XP.
> 95-97% of the cpu's usage is tied up with NTVDM.EXE.

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=ntvdm.exe
indicates it is a bona fide java machine code. I imagine that you have
old Java script and need to update the real mcoy from Sun.

Can you uninstall the programme and reinstall it if an upgrade doesn't
work? I imagine that XP updates expect you to be up to date with Java's
java code.

Other sites gave me the impression that it is a problem related to
speech recognition and to DOS systems.

From: nos1eep on
It is further alleged that on or about Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:42:24
-0500, in alt.windows-xp, the queezy keyboard of "Us at home" <"Us at
home"> spewed the following:

|I have a frustrating problem with XP.
|When using "The Master Genealogist" and trying to print to WORD 2000,
|the program locks up. So, using windows task manager, I see that
|95-97% of the cpu's usage is tied up with NTVDM.EXE.
|Trying any version of word gets the same result.
|When I print to adobe PDF, it'll work every time. Printing to ASCII is
|fine. I've used McAfee and AdAware SE+ and found nothing.
|I bought registry mechanic, to see if anything was there that might hang
|up - no change. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a number of times,
|even in safe-mode - no change. I've run CHKDSK /F a number of times
|I've been working with TMG's support group, and they've run out of ideas.
|I sent my data file to him last nite and he could run it without any
|problems.
|My PC:
|XP Pro SP2; 2 - 80 GB HD, primary and backup - using only about 30 GB each.
|1 GB RAM; WORD 2002 SP3; and I hope that covers everything.
|Oh yeah, I can run cmd & msconfig ok. reading the windows help,
|one article said try to run sysedit.exe. It doesn't run and I'm back
|to full cpu usage. The article said to reload some individual files
|from the CD.
|Only thing is the version on my PC is newer than the CD.
|
|Thanks in advance to all.
|Rich

NTVDM runs 16 bit applications on your 32 bit machine. You are trying
to port this over to a 32 bit application, system hangs. This article
on optimization of NTVDM and WOW may be of use.
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/435/06/2.html
GFIA to all
--

-nos1eep