From: Greg KH on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:02:17AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:56 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 08:00:16PM +0800, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
> > > hotplug emulator:extend memory probe interface to support NUMA
> > >
> > > Extend memory probe interface to support an extra paramter nid,
> > > the reserved memory can be added into this node if node exists.
> > >
> > > Add a memory section(128M) to node 3(boots with mem=1024m)
> > >
> > > echo 0x40000000,3 > memory/probe
>
> I dunno. If we're going to put multiple values into the file now and
> add to the ABI, can we be more explicit about it?
>
> echo "physical_address=0x40000000 numa_node=3" > memory/probe
>
> I'd *GREATLY* prefer that over this new syntax. The existing mechanism
> is obtuse enough, and the ',3' makes it more so.
>
> We should have the code around to parse arguments like that, too, since
> we use it for the boot command-line.

If you are going to be doing something like this, please use configfs,
that is what it is designed for, not sysfs.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Greg KH on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:54:52AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 09:55 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > Add a sysfs entry "probe" under /sys/devices/system/node/:
> > >
> > > - to show all fake offlined nodes:
> > > $ cat /sys/devices/system/node/probe
> > >
> > > - to hotadd a fake offlined node, e.g. nodeid is N:
> > > $ echo N > /sys/devices/system/node/probe
> >
> > As you are trying to add a new sysfs file, please create the matching
> > Documentation/ABI/ file as well.
> >
> > Also note that sysfs files are "one value per file", which I don't think
> > this file follows, right?
>
> I think in this case, it was meant to be a list of acceptable parameters
> rather than a set of values, kinda like /sys/power/state. Instead, I
> guess we could have:
>
> /sys/devices/system/node/probeable/3
> /sys/devices/system/node/probeable/43
> /sys/devices/system/node/probeable/65
> /sys/devices/system/node/probeable/5145
>
> and the knowledge that you need to pick one of those to echo
> into /sys/devices/system/node/probe. But, it's a lot more self
> explanatory if you 'cat /sys/devices/system/node/probe', and then pick
> one of those to echo back into the file.
>
> Seems like a decent place to violate the "rule". :)

How big would this "list" be? What will it look like exactly?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Dave Hansen on
On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:15 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > echo "physical_address=0x40000000 numa_node=3" > memory/probe
> >
> > I'd *GREATLY* prefer that over this new syntax. The existing mechanism
> > is obtuse enough, and the ',3' makes it more so.
> >
> > We should have the code around to parse arguments like that, too, since
> > we use it for the boot command-line.
>
> If you are going to be doing something like this, please use configfs,
> that is what it is designed for, not sysfs.

That's probably a really good point, especially since configfs didn't
even exist when we made this 'probe' file thingy. It never was a great
fit for sysfs anyway.

-- Dave

From: Greg KH on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:49:38AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:15 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > echo "physical_address=0x40000000 numa_node=3" > memory/probe
> > >
> > > I'd *GREATLY* prefer that over this new syntax. The existing mechanism
> > > is obtuse enough, and the ',3' makes it more so.
> > >
> > > We should have the code around to parse arguments like that, too, since
> > > we use it for the boot command-line.
> >
> > If you are going to be doing something like this, please use configfs,
> > that is what it is designed for, not sysfs.
>
> That's probably a really good point, especially since configfs didn't
> even exist when we made this 'probe' file thingy. It never was a great
> fit for sysfs anyway.

Really? configfs was added in 2.6.16, when was this probe file added?

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Dave Hansen on
On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:58 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > That's probably a really good point, especially since configfs didn't
> > even exist when we made this 'probe' file thingy. It never was a great
> > fit for sysfs anyway.
>
> Really? configfs was added in 2.6.16, when was this probe file added?

$ git name-rev 3947be19
3947be19 tags/v2.6.15-rc1~728^2~12

-- Dave