From: Greg KH on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:16:43PM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:58 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > That's probably a really good point, especially since configfs didn't
> > > even exist when we made this 'probe' file thingy. It never was a great
> > > fit for sysfs anyway.
> >
> > Really? configfs was added in 2.6.16, when was this probe file added?
>
> $ git name-rev 3947be19
> 3947be19 tags/v2.6.15-rc1~728^2~12

Ah, so close, off by 3 months :)

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Shaohui Zheng on
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:56:03AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 08:00:16PM +0800, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
> > hotplug emulator:extend memory probe interface to support NUMA
> >
> > Extend memory probe interface to support an extra paramter nid,
> > the reserved memory can be added into this node if node exists.
> >
> > Add a memory section(128M) to node 3(boots with mem=1024m)
> >
> > echo 0x40000000,3 > memory/probe
> >
> > And more we make it friendly, it is possible to add memory to do
> >
> > echo 3g > memory/probe
> > echo 1024m,3 > memory/probe
> >
> > It maintains backwards compatibility.
>
> Again, please document this.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

okay

--
Thanks & Regards,
Shaohui

From: Wu Fengguang on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 09:45:35AM +0800, Zheng, Shaohui wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:55:11AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 07:48:35PM +0800, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
> > > Userland interface to hotplug-add fake offlined nodes.
> >
> > Why include 2 copies of the patch in one email?
> I always try to attach the patch as attachment, it is the same with the mail
> content, I guess it should take convenience when you need to save the patch
> to local, it might be a bad habbit, I will be careful when I send patch next time.
> thanks for the reminding.

Shaohui, git/quilt are great tools for submitting patch series.

> > > Add a sysfs entry "probe" under /sys/devices/system/node/:
> > >
> > > - to show all fake offlined nodes:
> > > $ cat /sys/devices/system/node/probe
> > >
> > > - to hotadd a fake offlined node, e.g. nodeid is N:
> > > $ echo N > /sys/devices/system/node/probe
> >
> > As you are trying to add a new sysfs file, please create the matching
> > Documentation/ABI/ file as well.
>
> Agree, We will document it in.
>

> > Also note that sysfs files are "one value per file", which I don't think
> > this file follows, right?
>
> Agree, the cpu/probe interface should write only, and we should create another
> file to indicate the hidden nodes, such as cpu/hidden. We will follow this rule
> when we send the formal patch.

I'd prefer to avoid new interfaces if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Fengguang
From: Haicheng Li on
Greg KH wrote:
>> Add a sysfs entry "probe" under /sys/devices/system/node/:
>>
>> - to show all fake offlined nodes:
>> $ cat /sys/devices/system/node/probe
>>
>> - to hotadd a fake offlined node, e.g. nodeid is N:
>> $ echo N > /sys/devices/system/node/probe
>
> As you are trying to add a new sysfs file, please create the matching
> Documentation/ABI/ file as well.

Yes, we missed it. thank you.

> Also note that sysfs files are "one value per file", which I don't think
> this file follows, right?

Sorry, we didn't make the descriptions clear enough.
It should follow "one value per file". It intends to show acceptable parameters.

For example, if we have 4 fake offlined nodes, like node 2-5, then:
$ cat /sys/devices/system/node/probe
2-5

Then user hotadds node3 to system:
$ echo 3 > /sys/devices/system/node/probe
$ cat /sys/devices/system/node/probe
2,4-5

-haicheng
From: Shaohui Zheng on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:05:26AM +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 09:49:02AM +0800, Zheng, Shaohui wrote:

> > > Again, please document this.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > greg k-h
> >
> > okay
>
> Shaohui, it's useless to document a wrong interface.
> Better to fix the interface _first_, then document becomes meaningful.
Fenggunag,
greg reminds me to add the docment into Documentation/ABI/, We miss it in
the RFC. Currently, the interface format is not finalized, when we decide the
final interface, the last step is documenting it in.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Shaohui