From: rantingrick on
On Jul 11, 12:23 pm, MRAB <pyt...(a)mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> If you're so unhappy with Python, why don't you create your own
> language. I suggest the name "Rantthon".

Ah yes, then i can finally assume my worthy title of the "Ranting
Dictator For Life"! ;-)
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 01:30:36 -0700, rantingrick wrote:

> On Jul 11, 3:03 am, "Günther Dietrich" <gd.use...(a)spamfence.net> wrote:
>
>> So, it is not a disadvantage that the functions you listed above are
>> named in this way. In the contrary, it is an advantage, as it keeps
>> newcomers from using stupid variable names.
>
> "int" for an Integer is stupid?
> "list" for a List is stupid?
> "str" for a String is stupid?
>
> What am i missing?

If you're going to use generic names, why type three or four letters when
one will do?

i, j, k, m, n, p, q for ints.
L, a, b, x for lists
s, t, a, b for strings.

If you don't want to use generic names, then int, list, str are useless
because they don't mean anything. You need something like:

count_of_widgets
list_of_widgets
description

--
Steven
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 00:26:36 -0700, rantingrick wrote:

> Another source of asininity seems to be the naming conventions of the
> Python language proper! True/False start with an upper case and i
> applaud this. However str, list, tuple, int, float --need i go on...?--
> start with lowercase.
>
> Q: Well what the hell is your problem Rick. Who cares right?
>
> WRONG, I tell you what my problem is. Now i cannot "wisely" use
> variables like...
>
> str="this is a string"
> list = [1,2,3]
> def make_random_objs(range=10)
> def show_message(str)
> int = 12

Yes. So what? You can't wisely use variables like:

True = "rantingrick is an obnoxious loudmouth"
None = "the problem he is describing"

Nor can you wisely use variables like:

len = len("something")
chr = chr(48)

[...]
> Just thoughts.

But not deep thoughts.

--
Steven
From: Mark Lawrence on
On 12/07/2010 01:06, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 00:26:36 -0700, rantingrick wrote:
>
>> Another source of asininity seems to be the naming conventions of the
>> Python language proper! True/False start with an upper case and i
>> applaud this. However str, list, tuple, int, float --need i go on...?--
>> start with lowercase.
>>
>> Q: Well what the hell is your problem Rick. Who cares right?
>>
>> WRONG, I tell you what my problem is. Now i cannot "wisely" use
>> variables like...
>>
>> str="this is a string"
>> list = [1,2,3]
>> def make_random_objs(range=10)
>> def show_message(str)
>> int = 12
>

> Yes. So what? You can't wisely use variables like:
>
> True = "rantingrick is an obnoxious loudmouth"
+1 QOTW
> None = "the problem he is describing"
>
> Nor can you wisely use variables like:
>
> len = len("something")
> chr = chr(48)
>

> [...]
>> Just thoughts.
>
> But not deep thoughts.

Well said Steven, or is it Stephen, or Stephan, or Stefen, or what?
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 01:31:14 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> Well said Steven, or is it Stephen, or Stephan, or Stefen, or what?

For some reason, when I answer the phone and say "Hello, Steven
speaking?" I often get called Peter.

--
Steven