From: BillW50 on
In news:hviqs8$cdi$1(a)speranza.aioe.org,
John Doue typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:22:35 +0200:
> On 6/19/2010 3:13 PM, BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:65dp16p74ri1hlda04l7a4jem1rmnsfohu(a)4ax.com,
>> M.L. typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:21:48 -0500:
>>> I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire
>>> 5520-5290 laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the
>>> replacements I've found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to
>>> know if it can be replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive.
>>> I'd also like to know if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.
>>
>> Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
>> Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.
>>
> Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to replace
> is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are
> associating SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably
> technically correct stricto sensu.

Very true John. Thanks for bring this up. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: M.L. on

>>> I'm trying to replace the 80 GB hard drive of my Acer Aspire 5520-5290
>>> laptop (Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA model). All the replacements I've
>>> found so far are for the SATA model. I'd like to know if it can be
>>> replaced with any generic 2.5" ATA hard drive. I'd also like to know
>>> if ATA is equivalent to IDE. Thanks.
>>
>> Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
>> Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.
>>
>Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to replace
>is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are associating
>SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably technically
>correct stricto sensu.

Thanks to all who replied. An ad I read stated that the Hitachi
HTS541680J9SA00 is offered in PATA and SATA formats. How can I tell
which one I have? The display name for my drive shows "Hitachi
HTS541680J9SA00 ATA Device."
From: BillW50 on
In news:u34q16trbv0j8cd3k5c6d2g82a6a1ojlqc(a)4ax.com,
M.L. typed on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:54:55 -0500:

>>> Yes. you want a 2.5" SATA IDE (integrated drive electronics) drive.
>>> Which is the most common nowadays in the 2.5" format.
>>>
>> Bill, I am not sure the OP realizes that the drive he wants to
>> replace is a *SATA* drive (as opposed to PATA, aka IDE/ATA). You are
>> associating SATA and IDE, which is confusing imho, although probably
>> technically correct stricto sensu.
>
> Thanks to all who replied. An ad I read stated that the Hitachi
> HTS541680J9SA00 is offered in PATA and SATA formats. How can I tell
> which one I have? The display name for my drive shows "Hitachi
> HTS541680J9SA00 ATA Device."

Oh? When I looked it up, it was only in SATA format. But if you have any
questions, the PATA connector looks like this:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/bigdogtrucker/SL737474.jpg

And a SATA one looks like this:

http://www.lapzone.com/catalog/431407-001.jpg

From: tc on
Look at the connectors on the actual drive (not the adapter). PATA has a
multi pin layout while SATA has 2 slide on connectors with flat contacts the
same as the 3.5" SATA models.

Terry

From: John Doue on
On 6/19/2010 8:54 PM, M.L. wrote:

To answer your question, take the answer from the horse's mouth:

search google with "Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 " and select the link with
www.hitachigst.com offering a pdf. You will see that your drive is
definitely SATA.

--
John Doue