From: jw on
I have this Compaq laptop that only has XP SP3 on it, and I badly need
drivers for its Lan, Network Card, etc. PC Wizard describes it as
follows:

Mainboard Quanta 30D3
Chipset nVidia GeForce Go 6100
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TK-55 @ 1899 MHz
Network Card Wireless 1390 WLan Mini-PCI Card

Since the laptop will not connect to the web, I have spent two days on
another computer, searching the web for drivers for this laptop, but I
can find nothing that will install and run. DriverAgent has been no
help.

Anyone have any experience with this laptop and can help me?
Anyone suggest something I can try?

Thanks

Duke
From: Paul on
jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
> I have this Compaq laptop that only has XP SP3 on it, and I badly need
> drivers for its Lan, Network Card, etc. PC Wizard describes it as
> follows:
>
> Mainboard Quanta 30D3
> Chipset nVidia GeForce Go 6100
> Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TK-55 @ 1899 MHz
> Network Card Wireless 1390 WLan Mini-PCI Card
>
> Since the laptop will not connect to the web, I have spent two days on
> another computer, searching the web for drivers for this laptop, but I
> can find nothing that will install and run. DriverAgent has been no
> help.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this laptop and can help me?
> Anyone suggest something I can try?
>
> Thanks
>
> Duke

This thread at least gives the Compaq part number.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132852

Compaq Presario f558us laptop
quanta 30d3 motherboard
amd turion 64 mobile ml-36
nvidia go geforce 6100 video card
windows xp pro
Network Card: Broadcom Corp Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

This is the link from that thread, to drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3370445&os=228&lang=en#N1427

If I select Vista, it offers two files for WLAN. If I select WinXP, only one
file. So the low level driver is missing for WinXP. I'd try downloading
the Vista driver and see if it installs. I looked in the bcmwl6.inf
file, and can see mention of a number of OSes in there, so it's worth
a shot. So I'd try this Vista driver, to get the WinXP low
level support for WLAN. You could also download the WinXP
"HP Wireless Assistant", but I don't know what that is really
doing, and whether that is a replacement for Wireless Zero Config or
not.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36542.exe

Otherwise, use your GoogleFu to find other references to the 1390 WLAN.
If the above FTP'ed installer file doesn't work, post back.

*******

In terms of things like Ethernet drivers (if the laptop has an RJ-45
Ethernet connector on it), that would come from the large Nvidia chipset
driver package.

Again, the HP web page above, has an "Nvidia chipset" package for Vista,
but none for WinXP. That doesn't mean the chipset package is non-existent.

This is the HP *Vista* chipset package, for reference.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36240.exe

If I open the README file from that package, these are
the tick box items included. The chipset package doesn't
do the graphics driver. And there may be tick boxes, so
you can selectively install things. In this case, you'd
*only* tick the Ethernet driver box and let the installer
do that one.

"This nForce WinVista driver package contains the below components:

Installer (v5.53)
Ethernet Driver (65.55) WHQL <--- only if Compaq/HP is using the built-in
IDE SataIDE Driver (v9.92) WHQL
SMU (v1.31) WHQL"

If I go to Nvidia, I can't find a Go 6100 chipset driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

So I tried MSI instead. This is for an MSI VR330 notebook. As
far as I can tell, C51MV is the same as Go 6100. This may be
good enough to solve the Ethernet driver (if it needs one and
they actually wired up the built-in chipset Ethernet block).

http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/nb_drivers/cs/cs_nvidiac51mv_5.1.2600.0123_xp32.zip

*******

Graphics are a whole other issue. A laptop consists of the
Go 6100 GPU, but it is wired in a certain way to the LCD panel.
That means, it is possible, if you grab any old Go 6100 graphics
driver, to end up with the panel on the laptop not working quite
right. Like it selecting the wrong resolution or something.
I don't know if panels connected to laptops are handled by
Plug and Play, which is why you're typically at the mercy
of the manufacturer to provide a proper driver. (I.e. HP/Compaq
would be the best source of a driver. Or one of the
Notebook review sites, might have hacked up a driver for it.)

Since you have the Quanta part number, that may be another
avenue to finding a similar platform. I don't know if
Windows Update would try to handle that for you or not.

The thing is, when the Quanta 30D3 was released, it might
have been released sans WinXP drivers, for all the companies
which used that to build a laptop. So it's possible no other
driver download, will be in any better shape.

Maybe when you get the network running, you'll have more
options open to you, in terms of searching.

Good luck,
Paul
From: jw on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:51:37 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

> [...]
>right. Like it selecting the wrong resolution or something.
>I don't know if panels connected to laptops are handled by
>Plug and Play, which is why you're typically at the mercy
>of the manufacturer to provide a proper driver. (I.e. HP/Compaq
>would be the best source of a driver. Or one of the
>Notebook review sites, might have hacked up a driver for it.)
>
>Since you have the Quanta part number, that may be another
>avenue to finding a similar platform. I don't know if
>Windows Update would try to handle that for you or not.
>
>The thing is, when the Quanta 30D3 was released, it might
>have been released sans WinXP drivers, for all the companies
>which used that to build a laptop. So it's possible no other
>driver download, will be in any better shape.
>
>Maybe when you get the network running, you'll have more
>options open to you, in terms of searching.

Thanks for your work and research. As it happens I finally did get
the network running using a driver from majorgeeks.com, so now at
least I should be able to try to try to solve the problems on the
machine with the problems. That's gotta be a plus. So far though,
DiverAgent will not report any results in the way of bad drivers at
all on the laptop. That has never happened before. Gotta be a
reason.

I also have been told that the Quanta 30d3 was released with Windows 7
and not XP. So, that may be why I can't find any drivers for this
laptop for XP.

Thanks again,

Duke

The laptop still has very inferior video and no audio at all.
From: jw on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:51:37 -0400, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

>This thread at least gives the Compaq part number.
>
>http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132852
>
>Compaq Presario f558us laptop
>quanta 30d3 motherboard
>amd turion 64 mobile ml-36
>nvidia go geforce 6100 video card
>windows xp pro
>Network Card: Broadcom Corp Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
>
>This is the link from that thread, to drivers.
>
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3370445&os=228&lang=en#N1427
>
>If I select Vista, it offers two files for WLAN. If I select WinXP, only one
>file. So the low level driver is missing for WinXP. I'd try downloading
>the Vista driver and see if it installs. I looked in the bcmwl6.inf
>file, and can see mention of a number of OSes in there, so it's worth
>a shot. So I'd try this Vista driver, to get the WinXP low
>level support for WLAN. You could also download the WinXP
>"HP Wireless Assistant", but I don't know what that is really
>doing, and whether that is a replacement for Wireless Zero Config or
>not.
>
>ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36542.exe
>
>Otherwise, use your GoogleFu to find other references to the 1390 WLAN.
>If the above FTP'ed installer file doesn't work, post back.
>
>*******
>
>In terms of things like Ethernet drivers (if the laptop has an RJ-45
>Ethernet connector on it), that would come from the large Nvidia chipset
>driver package.
>
>Again, the HP web page above, has an "Nvidia chipset" package for Vista,
>but none for WinXP. That doesn't mean the chipset package is non-existent.
>
>This is the HP *Vista* chipset package, for reference.
>
>ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36240.exe
>
>If I open the README file from that package, these are
>the tick box items included. The chipset package doesn't
>do the graphics driver. And there may be tick boxes, so
>you can selectively install things. In this case, you'd
>*only* tick the Ethernet driver box and let the installer
>do that one.
>
> "This nForce WinVista driver package contains the below components:
>
> Installer (v5.53)
> Ethernet Driver (65.55) WHQL <--- only if Compaq/HP is using the built-in
> IDE SataIDE Driver (v9.92) WHQL
> SMU (v1.31) WHQL"
>
>If I go to Nvidia, I can't find a Go 6100 chipset driver.
>
>http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
>
>So I tried MSI instead. This is for an MSI VR330 notebook. As
>far as I can tell, C51MV is the same as Go 6100. This may be
>good enough to solve the Ethernet driver (if it needs one and
>they actually wired up the built-in chipset Ethernet block).
>
>http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/nb_drivers/cs/cs_nvidiac51mv_5.1.2600.0123_xp32.zip
>
>*******

Wow! Before I received your reply, I had found that this download

8.26_11.09_nforce_winxp_international.exe

at

http://download.cnet.com/8-26-11-09-nforce-winxp-international-exe/3000-2112_4-165639.html

which at least activated the LAN.

As I said though, although I can now browse, my use of 'DriverAgent'
will not perform its driver analysis that I like to use. I thought it
would pinpoint the problems with the other drivers. But not so far.

>Graphics are a whole other issue. A laptop consists of the
>Go 6100 GPU, but it is wired in a certain way to the LCD panel.
>That means, it is possible, if you grab any old Go 6100 graphics
>driver, to end up with the panel on the laptop not working quite
>right. Like it selecting the wrong resolution or something.

So far my resolution sucks. My status currently is bad video and no
sound. And maybe something else - I don't know.

From: davy on

Have you tried 'HP'
(http://cr.am/framed.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fh10025.www1.hp.com%2Fewfrf%2Fwc%2FsiteHome%3Fdlc%3Den%26lc%3Den%26cc%3Dus&ref=driverguide)
using the product number? If they use 'Nvidia'
(http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) chip set try
them.

davy