From: Conor on
On 25/07/2010 05:15, Bill J. wrote:
> Hi. I need some combination of hardware that lets me keep all
> electronics and all metal-containing parts of a computer, its
> peripherals and hardware at least 10 meters away from the user, while
> giving the user a completely normal interface, that is visually and
> tactilely indistinguishable from a normal moniter/keyboard/mouse.
>
> What combination of off-the-shelf peripherals will allow this?

Not a chance in hell. A mouse cannot work without electronics, neither
can a keyboard.

Your only solution would be a plastic manual typewriter.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: Jon Danniken on
Conor wrote:
> On 25/07/2010 05:15, Bill J. wrote:
>> Hi. I need some combination of hardware that lets me keep all
>> electronics and all metal-containing parts of a computer, its
>> peripherals and hardware at least 10 meters away from the user, while
>> giving the user a completely normal interface, that is visually and
>> tactilely indistinguishable from a normal moniter/keyboard/mouse.
>>
>> What combination of off-the-shelf peripherals will allow this?
>
> Not a chance in hell. A mouse cannot work without electronics, neither
> can a keyboard.
>
> Your only solution would be a plastic manual typewriter.

Didn't someone make an optically-sensing keyboard back a few years ago?
ISTR it used a scanning field, and projected the image of a keyboard onto
the user's desk.

Can't remember if it ever made it into production, though.

Jon

From: Man-wai Chang on
On 7/25/2010 12:15, Bill J. wrote:
> Hi. I need some combination of hardware that lets me keep all
> electronics and all metal-containing parts of a computer, its
> peripherals and hardware at least 10 meters away from the user, while
> giving the user a completely normal interface, that is visually and
> tactilely indistinguishable from a normal moniter/keyboard/mouse.
>
> What combination of off-the-shelf peripherals will allow this?

Find a middle-man! :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34.1
From: Michael Black on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Man-wai Chang wrote:

> On 7/25/2010 12:15, Bill J. wrote:
>> Hi. I need some combination of hardware that lets me keep all
>> electronics and all metal-containing parts of a computer, its
>> peripherals and hardware at least 10 meters away from the user, while
>> giving the user a completely normal interface, that is visually and
>> tactilely indistinguishable from a normal moniter/keyboard/mouse.
>>
>> What combination of off-the-shelf peripherals will allow this?
>
> Find a middle-man! :)

They used to be called "secretaries".

Michael
From: Michael Black on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Bill J. wrote:

> Hi. I need some combination of hardware that lets me keep all
> electronics and all metal-containing parts of a computer, its
> peripherals and hardware at least 10 meters away from the user, while
> giving the user a completely normal interface, that is visually and
> tactilely indistinguishable from a normal moniter/keyboard/mouse.
>
> What combination of off-the-shelf peripherals will allow this?

You're asking the question wrong.

You need to define the problem first, so an actual solution can be
had.

Until you reveal why this is all necessary, a suitable solution can't
be had.

At the very least, you sound like a nut.

Now, if you'd bothered to say something like "I am allergic to metal,
and can't operate in electrical fields, and my doctor has actually
written me a note", then there might be some reason to pursue this.

Otherwise, you just come across as someone who thinks they know what
they want, be it some unknown reason for this or some conspiracy theory
about the dangers of metal and electricity (note that everyone is in an
electrical field of some sort, unless they are way in the wilderness, you
probably get more radiated from the AC wiring in your house than you would
from a computer keyboard or mouse).

It's not worth the trouble helping in that situation.

But even if you have a legit reason, the actual set of circumstances may
not be such that they require what you think, and hence this may not be
the dire situation that you believe.

Michael