From: VanguardLH on
M.L. wrote:

> After saving some precious folders I reluctantly decided to proceed
> with fixmbr in the Recovery Mode.
>
> Result: It booted into Windows just fine. It even restarted OK. I hope
> that result is permanent.

Since this sounds like a fresh install of Windows XP, you didn't have
much to lose by letting fixmbr do its job.

> In Windows, the WGA window came up, apparently wanting me to enter an
> activation key. In addition, a System Preparation Tool 2.0 window
> opened asking me to select the option of Factory, Audit or Reseal.
> I'll look up what those selections mean and hope one of them takes
> care of the XP activation.

You somehow obtained a sysprep "image" to do an install of Windows XP?
You don't install an image. You lay it down on the hard disk (or volume
if using RAID). Sysprep images are used in a corporate environment or
by jobbers to quickly setup similar licensed images; however, that
sysprep image is part of a volume license so you might not be permitted
to distribute that instance to a user outside the organization to which
the volume license was issued. If a jobber using sysprep to build hosts
for resale, they're expected to follow with a product key update that is
unique and provides a separate license to the customer.

You sure that you restored a legitimate image for Windows XP? If using
sysprep, you didn't actually do an install of Windows XP. If you used
sysprep to replace/lay an image into a partition or volume in the
computer, do you have an OEM license where you can slice out instances
for distribution to outsiders (i.e., customers)? The customer doesn't
get your volume license, so what do they get to prove ownership of a
license?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758953(WS.10).aspx
http://www.petri.co.il/using_sysprep_in_an_image_based_installation.htm

> Powerspec B647 was factory delivered with Vista Business but allows a
> downgrade to Win XP Pro. However, I don't know if that downgrade
> offers an XP activation key. I've been trying to get in contact with
> the owner but no luck so far. I suspect she had someone else help her
> with the XP install before turning it over to me.

The "downgrade" requires that you have a Windows XP install CD. You
don't actually downgrade an existing install of Vista down to XP. You
do a fresh install of XP, call Microsoft and give them your Vista
product key, and they will give you back an XP product key to use.

Microsoft doesn't care how you get the install media for Windows XP.
They won't supply it. You have to obtain it somehow. They even mention
that it could be for a friend's computer (i.e., you are using their
install media for your computer so you are using it for 2 computers).
They only care that you have a legit copy of Vista (only the Business
and Ultimate versions have the downgrade option) for which they will
issue a product key for Windows XP however you manage to get it
installed. OEMs are supposed to supply their own means for the
downgrade, like providing a separate Windows XP installation. Retail
users of Vista have to somehow obtain a copy of install media for
Windows XP to do a *fresh* install as the "downgrade".

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9040318/FAQ_Giving_up_on_Vista_Here_s_how_to_downgrade_to_XP

You get a downgrade *right*. You don't actually get the downgrade
installation media. That you have to obtain yourself. Once you figure
out how to do a fresh install of Windows XP (to "replace" Vista) then
you call Microsoft to get a product key for Windows XP by giving them
your Vista license key.

Although many instructions say to do a fresh install of Windows XP and
use whatever product key came with it, I don't think you actually have
to use a product key to activate that install of Windows XP. Just do
the fresh Windows XP install and then call Microsoft.

Since you already got the Windows XP install to successfully complete,
just leave it there. Then get the product key from the customer for the
Vista version and call Microsoft to get them to give you the product key
for the existing Windows XP installation (be sure to record that product
key to give to the customer). They need to retain the license doc and
COA for the Vista license to prove they have a legit *right* to the
downgrade (which was actually a fresh install) to the Windows XP
license.
From: Andrew E. on
Youre not even close to having RAID.....
Integrating drivers is the last step,including them in a xp cd probably
hurts more than it helps...At this point,boot into the BIOS,set it for
RAID (advanced chipset),set it for 2nd boot priority (xp cd 1st),once thru,
exit,enter RAID configuration utility.Delete if such an item as a RAID set
appears (probably not),create one,use 128,once thru,exit,boot to xp cd
(press F6 key),install RAID drivers from floppy when asked,do this 2X,once
asked to use floppy drivers procceed,then press enter key when thru,procceed
to xp installation,delete partition (s),create one,reinstall xp..Also,read
owners
manual.Also,once in xp,install chipse installation utility,then RAID
drivers/software.

From: M.L. on

>> After saving some precious folders I reluctantly decided to proceed
>> with fixmbr in the Recovery Mode.
>>
>> Result: It booted into Windows just fine. It even restarted OK. I hope
>> that result is permanent.
>
>Since this sounds like a fresh install of Windows XP, you didn't have
>much to lose by letting fixmbr do its job.

Not a fresh install, but an XP Recovery. All data and programs are
intact. The owner told me she had Microcenter do the Vista to XP
downgrade in Sept 2009.

>> In Windows, the WGA window came up, apparently wanting me to enter an
>> activation key.

I got rid of the WGA wizard with a utility. Microsoft Security
Essentials validated successfully during its install so the system is
already properly activated.

> In addition, a System Preparation Tool 2.0 window
>> opened asking me to select the option of Factory, Audit or Reseal.
>> I'll look up what those selections mean and hope one of them takes
>> care of the XP activation.
>
>You somehow obtained a sysprep "image" to do an install of Windows XP?
>You don't install an image. You lay it down on the hard disk (or volume
>if using RAID).

No install involved. All I did was type "Y" when prompted by fixmbr
during recovery. I really don't know how or why sysprep showed up.

>You sure that you restored a legitimate image for Windows XP? If using
>sysprep, you didn't actually do an install of Windows XP.

No install, just an XP Recovery.

>The "downgrade" requires that you have a Windows XP install CD. You
>don't actually downgrade an existing install of Vista down to XP. You
>do a fresh install of XP, call Microsoft and give them your Vista
>product key, and they will give you back an XP product key to use.

Thanks for that information. It's important to know. Microcenter did
the downgrade for the owner.

>They need to retain the license doc and
>COA for the Vista license to prove they have a legit *right* to the
>downgrade (which was actually a fresh install) to the Windows XP
>license.

The Vista COA sticker is glued to the top of the PC. I'm going to call
Microcenter tomorrow to ask them how to get rid of the sysprep window
in XP.

Thanks for all the additional info you provided. I learned a lot.
From: M.L. on

>> I can't get my XP Pro system to boot the RAID drive.
>>
>> Specs: Powerspec B647, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM, two 500 GB
>> mirrored RAID hard drives (RAID controller drivers integrated into XP
>> via nLite).
>>
>> The RAID BIOS setup utility shows the following:
>> Boot: N/A
>> Vendor: Nvidia
>> Array: Mirror
>> Size: 465.76G
>>
>> When I boot to Safe Mode: computer reboots repeatedly after the *.sys
>> enumeration list completes.
>> When I boot to normal mode: got BSOD 0x000000BE with "An attempt was
>> made to write to read-only memory."
>>
>> I performed a chkdsk /r in Recovery Mode and no errors were found.
>> I performed a fixmbr in Recovery Mode and got some scary warnings as
>> follows so I decided not to go through with it:

>> 1.) "This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master
>> boot record."
>>
>> 2.) "Fixmbr may damage your partition tables if you proceed. This
>> would cause all partitions on the current hard disk to become
>> inaccessible."
>>
>> 3.) "If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not
>> continue."

I've since learned that those warnings are standard for fixmbr.

>> Can someone make sense of the next steps I should take to get XP to
>> boot properly? Thanks.

> Youre not even close to having RAID.....
> Integrating drivers is the last step,including them in a xp cd probably
> hurts more than it helps...At this point,boot into the BIOS,set it for
> RAID (advanced chipset),set it for 2nd boot priority (xp cd 1st),

Those BIOS settings were already present.

>once thru,
> exit,enter RAID configuration utility.Delete if such an item as a RAID set
> appears (probably not),create one,use 128,once thru,exit,boot to xp cd
> (press F6 key),install RAID drivers from floppy when asked,

I tried the floppy route first but the PC wouldn't recognize my
external USB floppy. That's why I resorted to the nLite RAID driver
integration. Overall I found the nLite solution easier since no F6
interruption was necessary.

>do this 2X,once
> asked to use floppy drivers procceed,then press enter key when thru,procceed
> to xp installation,delete partition (s),create one,reinstall xp..Also,read
>owners
> manual.Also,once in xp,install chipse installation utility,then RAID
>drivers/software.

No installation was necessary, just an XP Recovery. I'm going to leave
my RAID configuration as is since implementing fixmbr during the
recovery process appears to be working, with the exception of a
lingering System Preparation Tool 2.0 window. I'll call Microcenter
tomorrow to ask them how to get rid of it.
From: M.L. on

>I'm going to call
>Microcenter tomorrow to ask them how to get rid of the sysprep window
>in XP.

I was told to simply select:
1.) Check "Don't regenerate SIDs" option
2.) Select Reseal option
3.) Select Shutdown option

After reboot XP made me enter a user account name, made me set the
time zone, and made me select my Internet connection type. The only
changes it made to the previous setup was a lowered desktop resolution
(to 1024x768), and the owner has to reenter passwords of apps like
Skype and MSN. Otherwise everything looks back to normal.