From: Paul on
microsoft.news.com wrote:
> I'm _trying_ to do a "Dell System Return return my computer to *factory
> Condition*.
>
> The CD-ROM drive has been dysfunctional for dome time and I normally just
> use the DVD read/write drive instead.
>
> All goes fine up to the point when it tries to reboot to start the
> reinstallation process and than stalls with the message "No CD-ROM."
>
> There doesn't' appear to be the option in the BIOS to boot fro DVD drive,
> just CD-ROM.
> Also, this part of the BIOS list is greyed out (BTW, I accessed the BIOS by
> pressing F2 whilst restarting) so I don't know if I could change it
> anyway...
>
> Assuming that I _could_ change the (greyed out bit of) the BIOS to boot from
> a USB Device, and if I copied the whole DEell disc to a memory stick, could
> I use that instead?
>
> If not....now what?
>

> Be gentle with me <g>, I've never tried anything like this before...!
>
> FWIW I am also very partially sighted, which makes it all a bit like
> climbing Everest!
>
> --
> Rog

Your computer appears to have a "popup boot menu" option. According
to this, you press F12 soon after pushing the power button, and a
list of current storage devices should appear. If your DVD drive
is really wired up and working, it should appear in the list.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/en/sm/syssetup.htm

On my computer, I can leave the tray empty on any optical drive,
press my popup boot menu key right after power up, and leave the
list of devices on the screen. Then I can casually plop an optical
disc in the tray, close the tray, wait 30 seconds for the media
to spin up and be recognized.

Then, it is a simple matter of selecting the drive with the
recognized disc in it, as the boot device, and then off
it goes.

HTH,
Paul