From: Albert Graef on
Alain wrote:
> The point is: when you create a RPL program in HPUserEdit and there is a
> syntax error in it, it seems the calc treats it as a character string...
> I think it does a syntax check at upload time...

Yes, it has to, because HPUserEdit has no way of checking the syntax
itself. But you can quickly do that beforehand using the emulator:
Emulator/Run Emulator (once), then Emulator/Send to the Emulator. The
bad news is that this still doesn't give you any indication where the
error is. (That's why I prefer entering user rpl programs on the calc.)
But once you got the program working you can also create a binary file
using the Export option in the File menu (this also uses the emulator).

> The learning curve with HP calculators is, to say the least, steep

Yes it is. These calcs are entirely different beasts than the
few-dozens-of-functions-plus-keystroke-programming calcs of old. There's
no way you can figure out 1500+ functions, let alone the various
programming facilities, in an afternoon or two. But that also makes it
much more entertaining. ;-)

BTW, if you learnt how to make HPUserEdit work for you, you can spare
other newbies the hassle of going through the same mistakes by writing a
short article on http://hp50g.pbwiki.com

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
From: Alain on
Thanks,
I think with some practice, it is possible to write UserRPL programs with
HPUserEdit, it's much more easier than using the calc's keyboard... I know
about the export function, it works great now that I have things sorted
out... I have also updated Emu48 in HPUserEdit, which comes with version
1.33 of Emu48. I replaced the DLL with version 1.35, the most recent I
found. I guess I could also try to recompile latest version (1.43), but I
still don't know how. I'll try that later. ;-)
On a different subject:
I played a little with Nosy on the calc, and noticed that the function
addresses are not the same in the 49G+ and the 50G, though those calcs are
supposed to be the same, only the 50G got relooked and a better (hopefully)
keyboard. Is that normal? I assume it is, because I have updated the 50G
firmware with the latest version which must be different from the latest
49G+ version.

Alain
"Albert Graef" <Dr.Graef(a)t-online.de> a �crit dans le message de news:
erec5n$gro$02$1(a)news.t-online.com...

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 04:13:09 -0600, Alain wrote:

> I played a little with Nosy on the calc, and noticed that the function
> addresses are not the same in the 49G+ and the 50G, though those calcs are
> supposed to be the same, only the 50G got relooked and a better (hopefully)
> keyboard. Is that normal? I assume it is, because I have updated the 50G
> firmware with the latest version which must be different from the latest
> 49G+ version.

Since 49G+ and 50G (and 48Gii) use the exact same ROM series,
differences should be due only to different ROM versions,
which thus far are interchangeable between calcs.

What gives you the impression of different function addresses
between 49G+ and 50G?

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:05:18 -0600, Albert Graef wrote:

> HPUserEdit has no way of checking the syntax itself.
> But you can quickly do that beforehand using the emulator:
> Emulator/Run Emulator (once), then Emulator/Send to the Emulator.
> The bad news is that this still doesn't give you any indication
> where the error is.

If you have a string for which STR\-> or OBJ\-> indicates an error,
you can locate the error (on calc or emulator) using:

\<< \->STR "" { V } ROT + INPUT \>>

Pressing ENTER then either returns an error-free string
or highlights the error and awaits correction;
you might append STR\-> if you want to compile the string
immediately upon successful correction.

This works on all HP48/49/50.

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
More re:

> function addresses are not the same in the 49G+ and the 50G

Even different ROM versions must have exactly identical addresses
(and library/function numbers) for all "supported" functions,
so anything that shows up with a name in "Nosy"
should never vary in addresses between ROM versions,
nor between any calcs in 49G[+]/50G/48Gii series
(though of course may differ from HP48[S/G][X/+] series).

There may, however, appear to be occasional instructions
that change between 49G+/50G/48Gii and 49G/Emu48/Debug4x,
because a few "Saturn" CPU instuctions get overwritten
when ROMs are made for the ARM-powered emulator in actual calcs.

[r->] [OFF]