From: Alain on
Hi,

I'm trying to use HP USEREdit 4 to write RPL programs and transfer them
to my HP-50g. The problem is, when they are transfered on the HP, they
are never recognized as RPL, but as string, as appears in HPConnect. I
tried switching to binary transfer, but to no avail. I tried exporting
to HP binary with HP UserEdit, but nope, it does not work.
If I write a RPL program directly on the calc, and transfer it on the
PC, it has a .hp extension, and it works ok when I transfer it back with
HPconnect. I noticed the header of the file is not the same on the one
created on the PC and the one downloaded from the calc.
When it is transfered as a string on the calc, there are quotes wrapping
the program (").
Man this is so frustrating, I can't count the time I lose because of
problems like these. I'm really beginning to feel discouraged with this
calc. Why isn't it possible to transfer a program in a SIMPLE way...
this is really getting on my nerves now... can someone help. I know it
is a newbie problem, but still, I'm really used to computers, but now,
I'm losing my patience quickly...

Thanks for your help

A. DAVY
From: Lone Wolfy on
Dear A. Davy,

Computers (of all kinds) can drive you insane, most often because you
let them.

I'm a veteran of 30+ years of programming and yesterday I spent about
two hours dealing with a simple bug that was staring me right in the
eyes. (A "96" should have been "0x96".)

I can't advise you on how to fix the specific problem that you're
dealing with, as I'm still waiting for my new HP-50G to be delivered,
but I will say this: when you're as frustrated as you obviously are
when posting as you did, put the computer and calculator away and go
take a walk.

The fresh air, change of scenery, and healthy exercise will quicken
you and allow your sub-conscious mind to find a solution to the
problem. Relax, wait for an answer, and enjoy life outside the
maddening world of computers for a while.

Sincerely,
Lone Wolfy

From: TW on
> I'm trying to use HP USEREdit 4 to write RPL programs and transfer them
> to my HP-50g. The problem is, when they are transfered on the HP, they
> are never recognized as RPL, but as string, as appears in HPConnect. I
> tried switching to binary transfer, but to no avail. I tried exporting
> to HP binary with HP UserEdit, but nope, it does not work.

Have you tried ASC transfer?

TW

From: Alain on
Lone Wolfy a �crit :
> Dear A. Davy,
>
> Computers (of all kinds) can drive you insane, most often because you
> let them.
>
> I'm a veteran of 30+ years of programming and yesterday I spent about
> two hours dealing with a simple bug that was staring me right in the
> eyes. (A "96" should have been "0x96".)
>
> I can't advise you on how to fix the specific problem that you're
> dealing with, as I'm still waiting for my new HP-50G to be delivered,
> but I will say this: when you're as frustrated as you obviously are
> when posting as you did, put the computer and calculator away and go
> take a walk.
>
> The fresh air, change of scenery, and healthy exercise will quicken
> you and allow your sub-conscious mind to find a solution to the
> problem. Relax, wait for an answer, and enjoy life outside the
> maddening world of computers for a while.
>
> Sincerely,
> Lone Wolfy

Hi Wolfy...

I'm sorry if I was a bit too "hard" in my post here... I was beginning
to get mad, as you have noticed... And you know what?... I did exactly
what you tell me here :-) and... guess what... it worked!!! ;-)
The point is: when you create a RPL program in HPUserEdit and there is a
syntax error in it, it seems the calc treats it as a character string...
I think it does a syntax check at upload time... I can't tell for
sure, because after my "walk in the fresh air" ;-), it worked after I
cleared the syntax error in my program. I wrote -> NUM instead of ->NUM,
and the calc definitely does not like it! LOL!
The learning curve with HP calculators is, to say the least, steep, but
it's so great when it works. I have already learned a LOT in 3 weeks of
work on HPGCC and RPL.
Anyway, thank you for your answer. I will try to walk in fresh air more
often when I get stuck, it'll sure help me around.
See you, thanks again.
A.D.
From: Lone Wolfy on
Hi A.D.

Yep ... works every time. :) I'm looking forward to the adventure
myself. Whenever I order things, I take the cheapest shipping, so it
usually takes about a week before things I order arrive. I'm looking
forward to joining the community of HP-50G owners soon, and
contributing more to this forum.

- LW