From: Steve Gould on
I needed to migrate a WSS 3 server to new hardware. It is up and running
with the exception of search. I ended up creating a new Search database as
the first one created when I installed WSS gave errors and would not run. I
can start a full crawl and see the CPU spike and the search service and
SQLServer running hard. The event logs show the search session run, master
merge complete, etc. The Search MDF file is about 18M right now and the log
file 15. The mdf file on the old server was about 36M... not a lot, but I
could search for everything. I have checked via stsadm and search is set on
the content database so it should crawl. I set the SQL ##SSEE and Search
services to run under the same account that the application pool runs under.

Search gives no results. Even for new content. Wait a day, nothing. Trigger
full crawls, nothing.

When I stop and restart the SQL server ##SSEE I get these:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: Database
Event ID: 5586
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 4:42:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GSP
Unknown SQL Exception 232 occured. Additional error information from SQL
Server is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 - The pipe is being closed.)

---
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 4:42:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GSP
Unknown SQL Exception 232 occured. Additional error information from SQL
Server is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 - The pipe is being closed.)

---
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2436
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 4:42:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GSP
The start address
<sts3://gsp:48974/contentdbid={e7194099-eea1-4fac-bb1c-bed789da4cc5}> cannot
be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog
'Search'

Details:
Error in the Site Data Web Service. (0x80042616)

---
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2424
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 4:42:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GSP
The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed.
Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Application 'Search', Catalog 'index file on the search server
Search'

---
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 4:45:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GSP
Unknown SQL Exception 232 occured. Additional error information from SQL
Server is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 - The pipe is being closed.)

---
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: Timer
Event ID: 6398
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 4:45:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GSP
The Execute method of job definition
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition (ID
5cc3d5db-a3ba-47e4-8df3-bc2c983c2763) threw an exception. More information
is included below.

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 - The pipe is being closed.)

Can anyone suggest where to look?

Steve

From: Steve Gould on
More info,

I connected to the database with Management Studio. I gave the service
account I am using sysadmin rights to the content database to see if that
would help as it had no rights. No change. I even made that account a member
of the servers local admin group. I have removed and added search databases
a couple more times. The search service is only crawling the config
database, NOT the content DB. It verified that it is set to crawl the
content DB when I checked via spsearch list. I am getting no application
errors now. I think my previous ones were related to the database service
starting up.

Please note that the current site was a restore from a different server
using the "restore new" method. I then removed the first site and its
content database, so this site is currently the one and only web app and
site.

Can anyone suggest what to try next?

Steve