From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-02-17, Gourav CAT Staffing <gouravggg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Folks,
> Wishes for the Day !!!
> This is Shawn from Vforce Inc,.
> We Need consultant for COBOL PROGRAMMER ANALYSTS
> Please share suitable profiles to shawn(a)vforceinc.com
>
> Title : COBOL PROGRAMMER ANALYSTS
> Location : CA
> Duration : 1-2 years
> Rate : $33/hr
>
> Project 1:
> Extended Unemployment Insurance Project- Legacy Cobol Code needs to
> be analyzed
>
> Project 2:
> IDMS database needs to be converted to DB2 using automated tool and
> the analyst need to figure out why not working and retest

> Warm Regards ,
> Shawn Lee
> VantageForce Inc.
> 10400 Rodgers Road Suite 150
> Houston, Texas 77070
> Direct : 201-710-8278
> shawn(a)vforceinc.com
> www.vantageforce.com

You mean to tell me that a mechanic, or plumber, or electrician etc
makes more /hr than a seasoned COBOL programmer? Not that there's
_anything_ wrong with a trade, but give me a bleeding brake! How much
is your cut? More than half - I bet!
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Pete Dashwood on
Duke Normandin wrote:
> On 2010-02-17, Gourav CAT Staffing <gouravggg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Folks,
>> Wishes for the Day !!!
>> This is Shawn from Vforce Inc,.
>> We Need consultant for COBOL PROGRAMMER ANALYSTS
>> Please share suitable profiles to shawn(a)vforceinc.com
>>
>> Title : COBOL PROGRAMMER ANALYSTS
>> Location : CA
>> Duration : 1-2 years
>> Rate : $33/hr
>>
>> Project 1:
>> Extended Unemployment Insurance Project- Legacy Cobol Code needs to
>> be analyzed
>>
>> Project 2:
>> IDMS database needs to be converted to DB2 using automated tool and
>> the analyst need to figure out why not working and retest

>> Warm Regards ,
>> Shawn Lee
>> VantageForce Inc.
>> 10400 Rodgers Road Suite 150
>> Houston, Texas 77070
>> Direct : 201-710-8278
>> shawn(a)vforceinc.com
>> www.vantageforce.com
>
> You mean to tell me that a mechanic, or plumber, or electrician etc
> makes more /hr than a seasoned COBOL programmer? Not that there's
> _anything_ wrong with a trade, but give me a bleeding brake! How much
> is your cut? More than half - I bet!

I'm glad someone picked this up. The rate seemed low to me, but it is
academic as far as I'm concerned. I thought the days of agencies taking
50% - 66% cuts were gone, but as long as guys are prepared to work for the
rates being quoted, they'll continue doing it.

Best example of this that I can give from first hand experience was in the
early 1980s in London, England. I agreed to do a contract (as a COBOL
programmer, although the job actually had very little to do with COBOL and I
ended up becoming a CAD/CAM "expert" on the Intergraph package running on
DEC VAX) for 550 UK pounds a week. At the end of 3 months my Boss wanted to
extend the contract but said he couldn't afford to. He showed me what he was
being charged: 1200 a week!

I went to the Agency and asked for an explanation. The head of the Agency
explained that he had been given my name by a guy who met another guy in a
sauna and passed over my details. This meant there were 2 people apart fom
the Agency who had to get a rake-off, before the Agency even began to make
their profit... I told him things were about to change. The charge-out to
the client dropped to 900 a week of which I received 750 and the Agency 150.
The 2 parasites were simply dropped.

As a result, the new contract ran for a year, as two 6 month stints, with
review and slight increase after the first 6 months.

Some years later, with the shoe on the other foot, I was appalled at the
markups Agencies were still charging. I was recruiting teams of COBOL guys
for various projects and it was crazy, the amount the Agencies were
charging. (66% was "usual" and one even charged 75%). I got hold of the
heads of 3 of the least distasteful Agencies and offered them "preferred
supplier" status if they would cut their margins to 20% moving to 15% on
renewal. Oneof them swore a lot and opted out but the other 2 accepted. Over
the next 2 years they placed around 30 people with the company and when I
moved on the agreements were still in place.

Despite these stories it is important to remember that a REPUTABLE and FAIR
Agency can be beneficial for all concerned. I ended up finding ONE which I
considered to be in this category (they had a policy of showing contractors
exactly what they were being charged out at... the ONLY Agency I ever dealt
with who did that), and I ended up buying (and later selling back) a piece
of this business. I became good friends with the Principal of this company
and asked him why he was so open, when nobody else was. He replied it was
better for him to show people the markup than to have them find out from the
place where they were on site, through covert means. (They never charged
more than 25% on anybody they placed and they still made a good living. At
one stage they had around 250 people on contract for them; it is a
significant amount of money. (The Principal I mentioned, later achieved his
lifetime dream, bought himself a Rolls Royce with personalized plates and
retired to a country estate in Hertfordshire before he was 55... :-)))

A rate of $33 per hour in today's market is seriously low. I would strongly
advise people to stay away from this one.

Pete.