From: CC on
Hi dear all,

I am looking for any function I can use to solve the following
equation:

Mi,t – Bi,t – (ROEi,t+1 – Ri)*Bi,t/(1+Ri) - (ROEi,t+2 – Ri)*Bi,t+1/
(1+Ri)^2 - (ROEi,t+3 – Ri)*Bi,t+2/(1+Ri)^3 = 0

I have all values except Ri which is the value I want to find to make
this equation = 0. i refers to firm i and t refers to year t. So, I
need to find Ri for each firm/year. I have a dataset contains all
other variables. But not sure if there is any function that I can use
to solve this problem. I check the proc nlp but I guess it is for max
or min not to solve the value = 0. Please let me know if there's any
way I can do it. Thanks in advance!

HH
From: Lou on

> Hi dear all,
>
> I am looking for any function I can use to solve the following
> equation:
>
> Mi,t - Bi,t - (ROEi,t+1 - Ri)*Bi,t/(1+Ri) - (ROEi,t+2 - Ri)*Bi,t+1/
> (1+Ri)^2 - (ROEi,t+3 - Ri)*Bi,t+2/(1+Ri)^3 = 0
>

> I have all values except Ri which is the value I want to find to make
> this equation = 0. i refers to firm i and t refers to year t. So, I
> need to find Ri for each firm/year. I have a dataset contains all
> other variables. But not sure if there is any function that I can use
> to solve this problem. I check the proc nlp but I guess it is for max
> or min not to solve the value = 0. Please let me know if there's any
> way I can do it. Thanks in advance!
>
> HH

I don't know what you're trying to do and frankly don't feel like taking the
time to figure it out, so this is probably a foolish suggestion, but . . .

Can you take the equation you've posted and solve for Ri algebraically?
Once you've done that, plug in the other values and calculate.