From: eternal on
I need to find a web site that can display the MAC address that
websites see from my PC. I am testing the random wan port MAC address
on my router and want to make sure it actually works as advertised.
I've looked but can't find one that shows me this data and I know
websites are indentifying users via the MAC address and not just the
IP address. I consider this an invasion of my privacy so want to deep
six the fuckers from seeing my real MAC address.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "eternal" <eternal(a)light.invalid>

| I need to find a web site that can display the MAC address that
| websites see from my PC. I am testing the random wan port MAC address
| on my router and want to make sure it actually works as advertised.
| I've looked but can't find one that shows me this data and I know
| websites are indentifying users via the MAC address and not just the
| IP address. I consider this an invasion of my privacy so want to deep
| six the fuckers from seeing my real MAC address.

How do you "know websites are indentifying users via the MAC address and not just the IP
address." ?

Please provide substantiatiing information.

--
Dave

From: eternal on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:55:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>How do you "know websites are indentifying users via the MAC address and not just the IP
>address." ?
>
>Please provide substantiatiing information.

Let's just say I know. Not saying all do but I have concrete evidence
that some do. Anyway, I found out how to check my visible MAC address
against the MAC address I set with the random option in my Router. I
used a 3rd party firewall and the MAC address it shows is the same one
I set in my Router. That puts a stop to invasion of my privacy via the
Mac address. Job done.
From: eternal on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:55:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>How do you "know websites are indentifying users via the MAC address and not just the IP
>address." ?
>
>Please provide substantiatiing information.

Actually, I was wrong and the firewall is showing the physical MAC
address of the router and not the WAN port MAC address I can change
randomly in the router settings. I need to find which MAC address some
of these websites can see. If it is just the WAN port MAC address
then that is fine because one can change that but if they can see the
physical MAC address then I see concerns with privacy issues.

Im not up to doing anything illegal so don't ask me questions that
don't concern you. If you can help great but all I see so far is one
nosey person so don't hold out much hope here.

From: CiderScratter on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 01:16:37 -0700, eternal <eternal(a)light.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:55:55 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
><DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>>How do you "know websites are indentifying users via the MAC address and not just the IP
>>address." ?
>>
>>Please provide substantiatiing information.
>
>Actually, I was wrong and the firewall is showing the physical MAC
>address of the router and not the WAN port MAC address I can change
>randomly in the router settings. I need to find which MAC address some
>of these websites can see. If it is just the WAN port MAC address
>then that is fine because one can change that but if they can see the
>physical MAC address then I see concerns with privacy issues.
>
>Im not up to doing anything illegal so don't ask me questions that
>don't concern you. If you can help great but all I see so far is one
>nosey person so don't hold out much hope here.

What are you up to?
Why do you want to do this?

.. .

^^^