From: Lil' Abner on
I downloaded
41.Yr.Virgin.Who.Knocked.Up.Sarah.Marshall;Felt.Superbad.LKRG136943.exe,
knowing, of course That it would be infected with *something*. Microsoft
Security Essentials liked it OK so I sent it to VirusTotal where it scored
zilch (0/43).
So I installed it on a throwaway copy of XP and actually had to kill the
installation file with task manager. And that still left a random exe file
running and eating up about 85% of the processor. So I killed that one too
and then ran MalwareBytes on it.
It found:
Trojan.Backdoor.Gen (4)
Trojan.Agent.Gen (5)
Trojan.Agent (1)
Bifrose.Trace (1)
MalwareBytes cleaned it up fine with a reboot.
IMO that saya quite a bit for MBAM and very little for 43 antivirus
companies.
At least it wasn't one of those rogue security apps that I usually get when
I play this game... :-)

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com>

| I downloaded
| 41.Yr.Virgin.Who.Knocked.Up.Sarah.Marshall;Felt.Superbad.LKRG136943.exe,
| knowing, of course That it would be infected with *something*. Microsoft
| Security Essentials liked it OK so I sent it to VirusTotal where it scored
| zilch (0/43).
| So I installed it on a throwaway copy of XP and actually had to kill the
| installation file with task manager. And that still left a random exe file
| running and eating up about 85% of the processor. So I killed that one too
| and then ran MalwareBytes on it.
| It found:
| Trojan.Backdoor.Gen (4)
| Trojan.Agent.Gen (5)
| Trojan.Agent (1)
| Bifrose.Trace (1)
| MalwareBytes cleaned it up fine with a reboot.
| IMO that saya quite a bit for MBAM and very little for 43 antivirus
| companies.
| At least it wasn't one of those rogue security apps that I usually get when
| I play this game... :-)

LOL - If you got it from Usenet binaries, You're Welcome.

--
Dave

From: siljaline on
Lil' Abner wrote:
<snip>

Report the Torrent to the tracker if you pulled the Warez off a site.

Your options >

<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1533481&postcount=3>

Good luck & get a decent AV - I don't like MSE, but, that's just me.

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov>

| Lil' Abner wrote:
| <snip>

| Report the Torrent to the tracker if you pulled the Warez off a site.

The name of the file is a Socal Enginerering construct I am familiar weith and I doubt it
came from a Warez site. That naming convention is typical of the type of files I find
quite often in the Usenet binaries and I'll bet that is where it came from.

--
Dave

From: Lil' Abner on
"siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in news:huul4a$akp$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Lil' Abner wrote:
><snip>
>
> Report the Torrent to the tracker if you pulled the Warez off a site.
It came from a binary newsgroup

> Good luck & get a decent AV - I don't like MSE, but, that's just me.
The main thing I don't like about MSE is that it gets process hungry every
once in a while. I really don't have a problem with viruses and malware
since I spend most of my time cleaning up other peoples' computers. I may
I *do* download an obvious one once in a while. Even though I do scan it I
still won't run it on my own machine even if it appears to be clean.
That one I ran on another machine and sure enough, it was nasty.

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---