From: gracey on

I will definitely go with a netbook. I have a smartphone and its a pita
to browse the internet with the 3" screen. I think even the iPhone like
screen is tiring after 10 minutes.

With netbook you can do more and its much cheaper than midrange
smartphones.

--
gracey

advd loc is virginia, ip is pr.
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

From: gracey on

I forgot to add that I can make VoIP calls with my Onesuite VoIP on my
Asus netbook without any problems. I'm using a cheap headset and most of
my calls are clear.

--
gracey

advd loc is virginia, ip is pr.
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

From: allatsea on
I agree with you. Have a HTC Desire and a Samsung netbook. The Samsung is,
for me, a much more useful tool. The phone's a toy.

Brgds

Richard

From: Steve Hayes on
gracey wrote:

> I will definitely go with a netbook. I have a smartphone and its a pita
> to browse the internet with the 3" screen. I think even the iPhone like
> screen is tiring after 10 minutes.
>
> With netbook you can do more and its much cheaper than midrange
> smartphones.

I'm actually finding the opposite. Since I got a smartphone (HTC Hero), I'm
using it most of the time in place of a netbook. It's much easier to hold
and the touchscreen makes it easy to scroll. In contrast, the netbook is too
big and heavy to hold comfortably with one hand and I don't have a third
hand to work the touchpad.

Also, of course, the phone stays with you, stays booted up and does
everything (connect to the internet, make calls, send texts, find places)
anywhere there's a signal without additional stuff hanging off it such as a
3G dongle or USB handset.

All this is predicated though on having a full-size laptop or desktop for
real work (e.g. word processing or composing this reply) and also depends on
your eyesight and the websites you like to use. If it's just a few sites
(especially ones with an iPhone/smartphone version) and you know your way
around so can scroll to where you want on the page, the phone is OK but it
can get frustrating in other situations. Otherwise, the netbook (or iPad)
might be a reasonable compromise but personally, I'd skip them now that
phones are getting so good.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK
>> I will definitely go with a netbook. I have a smartphone and its a pita
>> to browse the internet with the 3" screen. I think even the iPhone like
>> screen is tiring after 10 minutes.
>>
>> With netbook you can do more and its much cheaper than midrange
>> smartphones.
>>

> I'm actually finding the opposite. Since I got a smartphone (HTC Hero), I'm
> using it most of the time in place of a netbook. It's much easier to hold
> and the touchscreen makes it easy to scroll. In contrast, the netbook is too
> big and heavy to hold comfortably with one hand and I don't have a third
> hand to work the touchpad.
>
> Also, of course, the phone stays with you, stays booted up and does
> everything (connect to the internet, make calls, send texts, find places)
> anywhere there's a signal without additional stuff hanging off it such as a
> 3G dongle or USB handset.
>
> All this is predicated though on having a full-size laptop or desktop for
> real work (e.g. word processing or composing this reply) and also depends on
> your eyesight and the websites you like to use. If it's just a few sites
> (especially ones with an iPhone/smartphone version) and you know your way
> around so can scroll to where you want on the page, the phone is OK but it
> can get frustrating in other situations. Otherwise, the netbook (or iPad)
> might be a reasonable compromise but personally, I'd skip them now that
> phones are getting so good.

Each to their own. My Nokia N86 is always in my pocket. Screen is too
small for serious surfing. Tabbed browsing in Opera Mobile is good
though. Camera is excellent but GPS is the big bonus. Can park my car in
a strange town, set the parking place as a temporary favourite and find
my way back to it.