From: Davej on
So why does netscreen have both "approve" and "deny" policies? I mean
isn't everything that isn't approved automatically (logically) denied?
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
Davej <galt_57(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> So why does netscreen have both "approve" and "deny" policies? I mean
> isn't everything that isn't approved automatically (logically) denied?

Assume you want to allow an IP range, but want to exclude one or more
subranges.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: Davej on
On Jan 24, 8:07 am, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usenet-2...(a)planetcobalt.net> wrote:
> Davej <galt...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > So why does netscreen have both "approve" and "deny" policies? I mean
> > isn't everything that isn't approved automatically (logically) denied?
>
> Assume you want to allow an IP range, but want to exclude one or more
> subranges.

I guess that makes sense. The thing that got me was that when I put
the thing into "home-work" mode it had a default set of four policies;

untrust to work = deny
untrust to home = deny
home to work = permit
work to home = deny

Since the default is "deny" it seems that three of the four policies
accomplish nothing.
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
Davej <galt_57(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 8:07�am, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Davej <galt...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> So why does netscreen have both "approve" and "deny" policies? I mean
>>> isn't everything that isn't approved automatically (logically) denied?
>>
>> Assume you want to allow an IP range, but want to exclude one or more
>> subranges.
>
> I guess that makes sense. The thing that got me was that when I put
> the thing into "home-work" mode it had a default set of four policies;
>
> untrust to work = deny
> untrust to home = deny
> home to work = permit
> work to home = deny
>
> Since the default is "deny" it seems that three of the four policies
> accomplish nothing.

I'm not familiar with Netscreen, but don't these policies *define* the
default behavior?

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: Davej on
On Jan 25, 1:14 pm, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usenet-2...(a)planetcobalt.net> wrote:
> Davej <galt...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not familiar with Netscreen, but don't these policies *define* the
> default behavior?

I'm happy now. All I need is...

home to untrust = permit
work to untrust = permit