From: Mad-Eye Moody on
So, for especially in the case of laptop computer, I need it to recconect
automatically (to regular ethernet with dhcp) in case of cable unplug/
plug. Also, it should work if cable was unplugged during boot.
Also, any way of doing this with stock Slackware packages?
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:22:21 +0000, Mad-Eye Moody wrote:

> So, for especially in the case of laptop computer, I need it to
> recconect automatically (to regular ethernet with dhcp) in case of cable
> unplug/ plug. Also, it should work if cable was unplugged during boot.
> Also, any way of doing this with stock Slackware packages?

The wicd package (from "extra") can manage both wired and wireless
connections. There is a user preference setting to connect to wired
networks whenever a cable is plugged, etc.

p.s. Here are some screenshots I prepared for someone I am helping to use
Slackware for the first time:
http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne/misc/ss.2010-08-05.01.png
http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne/misc/ss.2010-08-05.02.png

--
Douglas Mayne
From: Mad-Eye Moody on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 13:57:45 +0000, Douglas Mayne wrote:

>> So, for especially in the case of laptop computer, I need it to
>> recconect automatically (to regular ethernet with dhcp) in case of
>> cable unplug/ plug. Also, it should work if cable was unplugged during
>> boot. Also, any way of doing this with stock Slackware packages?
> The wicd package (from "extra") can manage both wired and wireless
> connections. There is a user preference setting to connect to wired
> networks whenever a cable is plugged, etc.
> p.s. Here are some screenshots I prepared for someone I am helping to
> use Slackware for the first time:
> http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne/misc/ss.2010-08-05.01.png
> http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne/misc/ss.2010-08-05.02.png

Yes I know about Wicd but it is not working... at least for wired
connections, since Slackware 13.1, perhaps 13.0, I don't remember.
Manually clicking connect works, and option "Automatically reconnect on
network connection loss" is indeed selected. Why it's not working, I
don't know - perhaps a hint anyone?
So far, I had best results with a bit tweaked ifplugd, but this is kinda
abandoned software and not really reliable - in cases such as quick plug/
unplug sometimes it doesn't get address via dhcp. Manually starting
dhcpcd works.
Any other suggestions? Still would be nice to resolve this issue using
stock packages only.
From: Phil on
On 06/08/10 21:17, Mad-Eye Moody wrote:

> Any other suggestions? Still would be nice to resolve this issue using
> stock packages only.

I had the same problem as you. Am now using NetworkManager successfully
- downloaded from slackbuilds.org.

Regards
Phil
From: Mad-Eye Moody on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 09:51:59 +0100, Phil wrote:

> On 06/08/10 21:17, Mad-Eye Moody wrote:
>
>> Any other suggestions? Still would be nice to resolve this issue using
>> stock packages only.
>
> I had the same problem as you. Am now using NetworkManager successfully
> - downloaded from slackbuilds.org.

Hey I thought this was Ubuntu specific!
Works great thanks. Also for broadband/3g modems with a recentish kernel.
Well, few libraries need to be installed (if GUI is needed) but I can
live with this.