From: sl on
>> Sorry, never at PC yesterday.
>>
>> As to how much traffic, I am not sure how to describe; but I see
>> packet size of 60-80 (I think, not sure it is unit K) coming from a
>> bunch of IPs. As I see the switch (a mini-switch in front of me) it
>> continually blinks, and the LanView shows the packet info.
>>
>> It just keeps blinking, till I decide that something may be wrong
>> that I switch off the boradband modem for 5 minutes or so. I know
>> the other PC is not on and it is using a static IP.
>
> What kind of broad band modem? ADSL. cable?
> It might be that your machine is comprimized and the traffic is
> someone trying to use your machine. It could be that this is just
> broadcast traffic, or arp requests (the small packets would indicate
> that).
> Are you getting one packet a minute, a second, a millisecond?

It is an ADSL modem.

Roughly 8 to 15 packets in one second to a single IP (computer off), and it
repeats until I decide to turn off the modem.

Sometimes turning the modem off one time does not work, ie it repeats after
turning on after a while (even though the PC is still off).

I believe (I did not notice) it only stops when the modem gets a different
WAN IP address.

Sorry for asking so much, just trying to learn to detect any mischief.
Thanks.