From: sl on
I am no network expert.

Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a
LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination
IP identifies the PC).

Is this normal ?

Thanks.

From: Dariusz Malec on
sl(a)exabyte pisze:
> I am no network expert.
>
> Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a
> LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination
> IP identifies the PC).
>
> Is this normal ?
>
> Thanks.

Yes it's normal.
For example if one host (A) sends packet to host (B), the packet is sent
even if host B is down and packets with destination ip of host B appears
in network.

The question is how long yours PC is down. There may be some active
connections on your NAT router.
Also if there are some ports redirected to that PC the packets will appear.

--
Regards
Dariusz Malec
From: sl on
Dariusz Malec wrote:

> Yes it's normal.
> For example if one host (A) sends packet to host (B), the packet is
> sent even if host B is down and packets with destination ip of host B
> appears in network.
>
> The question is how long yours PC is down. There may be some active
> connections on your NAT router.
> Also if there are some ports redirected to that PC the packets will
> appear.

If the destination PC is off, say at least 45minutes, is this normal ?
Thanks.

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-14, sl(a)exabyte <ecp_gen(a)my-rialto.com> wrote:
> I am no network expert.
>
> Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a
> LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination
> IP identifies the PC).

How is the rest of the net to know that the PC is off?
It is of course possible that there is another computer on the network
who is using the same IP address (Is it static or dhcp?)

From: Ignoramus25096 on
On 2010-05-14, sl(a)exabyte <ecp_gen(a)my-rialto.com> wrote:
> I am no network expert.
>
> Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a
> LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination
> IP identifies the PC).
>
> Is this normal ?

Of course it is normal. Dead people receive junk mail long after they
die.