From: FrankSpokane on
I have a small home network setup between 2 Xp cpus and 1 Win 7 cpu I
upgraded from Vista - set up just for sharing a printer on one of the XP's.
This has worked fine.

I just got another Win 7 cpu and need to get it to share this same printer.
I notice the Workgroup for the 2 Xp cpus says MSHOME, and the Workgroup for
my existing Win7 cpu says WORKGROUP, but the printer sharing works.

How do I get this new Win7 cpu into my home network ? The networking appears
to be quite different and I can find no Win7 Network Setup Wizard.

Thanks much for all replies
From: Lem on
FrankSpokane wrote:
> I have a small home network setup between 2 Xp cpus and 1 Win 7 cpu I
> upgraded from Vista - set up just for sharing a printer on one of the XP's.
> This has worked fine.
>
> I just got another Win 7 cpu and need to get it to share this same printer.
> I notice the Workgroup for the 2 Xp cpus says MSHOME, and the Workgroup for
> my existing Win7 cpu says WORKGROUP, but the printer sharing works.
>
> How do I get this new Win7 cpu into my home network ? The networking appears
> to be quite different and I can find no Win7 Network Setup Wizard.
>
> Thanks much for all replies

See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

You'll notice that one of the steps in the tutorial is "put all
computers in the same workgroup."

BTW, as a matter of terminology, you don't have a "Win 7 cpu" or an "XP
cpu." You have computers on which you have installed the Windows 7
operating system or the Windows XP operating system. Each of those
computers has, among many other components, a central processing unit or
"cpu."

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Win 7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network.Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win 7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration (some menu in locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem for a compute to
adopt)
So, maybe this can Help.
Firewall instructions.
Win -7,
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows
Win7 Work Network with a little visual help,
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).