From: Jack on
Host: XP Pro
Guest: DOS 6.22
Network: NAT/physical

When I chose NAT, I can access the internet okay
but other machines can't "ping" me
The DHCP outcome is 192.168.131.66
When I chose my NIC, other guests can "ping" me.
but I can't access the internet
The DHCP outcome is 192.168.215.219

I've tried to change the network settings under XP
I have both tried auto/manual ip, dns....etc
So what's wrong with my settings?
Ready for further info.
Thanks
Jack

From: Jack on
More info:
I have both primary and secondary DNSes set-up
which is correct under NAT config.

But When I chose my NIC, there is only one primary
DNS, no secondary and also it comprises of
a WINS if I chose NIC which I am not sure.
The subnet thing is 255.255.255.0
Thanks
Jack

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:27:35 +0800, "Jack" <jl(a)knight.com> wrote:

>More info:
>I have both primary and secondary DNSes set-up
>which is correct under NAT config.
>
>But When I chose my NIC, there is only one primary
>DNS, no secondary and also it comprises of
>a WINS if I chose NIC which I am not sure.
>The subnet thing is 255.255.255.0
>Thanks
>Jack

Shared Networking won't let you ping, that is expected behavior.

If you can't access the Internet when selecting your physical NIC,
it's probably a gateway issue. What is the the gateway for your
network? You should have the same gateway IP on the host and the DOS
VM when using the host's NIC.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP