From: Neil Rutman on
My current machine is more than 3 years old (dual core 2.4mhz E6600) which
is an eternity technology wise. Just starting to research a new system. Any
suggestions on the latest greatest that behaves well with Sonar 8? I'll go
64 bit if it makes sense sonically otherwise I'm good at 32 bit. My best
Sonar systems always had Intel MB & CPU. Is this still the way to go?

Neil R

From: kitekrazy on
On 6/23/2010 2:01 AM, Neil Rutman wrote:
> My current machine is more than 3 years old (dual core 2.4mhz E6600) which
> is an eternity technology wise. Just starting to research a new system. Any
> suggestions on the latest greatest that behaves well with Sonar 8? I'll go
> 64 bit if it makes sense sonically otherwise I'm good at 32 bit. My best
> Sonar systems always had Intel MB& CPU. Is this still the way to go?
>
> Neil R

Save your money and upgrade to an socket 775 Intel Quad. That way you
won't have to fork over more money for new DDR3 RAM .

From: Sue Morton on
Just to add to the other comments: If you want to keep the hardware you
have, find out whether it has 64-bit hardware drivers available and how
well they work, before deciding on 64-bit OS. There are definite pros
to 64-bit OS but there are some downsides too depending on the
situation.
--
Sue Morton

From: Neil Rutman on
Lets talk os for a moment. Does jumping from xp pro to W7 ad a significant
performance boost for audio purposes?

I'm not desperate for a new machine but it has been a while and it will be a
while until I do it again after this - so my thinking is to get the latest
and greatest with whatever amount of ram is required for maximum
performance.

Glennbo I can't get similar results during a mixdown with latency slider
adjusted appropriately. When I have the latency slider way down for the
purposes of playing soft synths in real time my results will vary - often
it;s frustrating with a dense project.

Neil R

From: kitekrazy on
On 6/23/2010 1:51 PM, Sue Morton wrote:
> Just to add to the other comments: If you want to keep the hardware you
> have, find out whether it has 64-bit hardware drivers available and how
> well they work, before deciding on 64-bit OS. There are definite pros
> to 64-bit OS but there are some downsides too depending on the
> situation.

I was surprised how much hardware was plug n play in W7x64 compared to
XP. Wireless keyboards and mouse come to mind.
All of my systems are W7x64 plus I kept an XP partition on 3 of them.
32 bit apps are quite stable. Sonar,Reaper and Vegas are the only 64
bit apps I have. 64 bit Reaper is rock solid as far as handling both 32
and 64 bit apps. I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of S8.5 installed.
I'm staying away from the Intel 1156 platform until RAM prices go
down. All of my AMD upgrades have been from dual to quad core processors.

Pages: 1
Prev: should i upgrade?
Next: SONG: Pecadillo