From: Spriggly on
> So where does the TCP (Telnet) connection originate from?   I've assumed it
> is just from the browser, so you're in the same situation as any other
> terminal with respect to blocked ports.  Or is there a proxy of some sort
> running on the server end?
>
> I wasn't able to get it working here though, I eventually get 'Error: Socket
> security not conifigured'.
>
> Cheers
> Leif

It still uses port 23 or 6400, whatever you have your bbs configured
for. The flash plug-in is simply opening a socket connection on that
port. I believe that Wiskow's work has simply opened up these ports
without telling him.

The "socket security not configured" error comes from the flash plug-
in not being granted access to the host machine (the bbs telnet bridge
box). In order to give access you have to set up a flash policy server
on the telnet bridge box. You can find the policy server software
here:
http://www.vadvbbs.com/products/utilities/downloads/index.php (third
one down)

In the config for the policy server paste in this xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<cross-domain-policy xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.adobe.com/xml/
schemas/PolicyFileSocket.xsd">
<site-control permitted-cross-domain-policies="master-only" />
<allow-access-from domain="*" to-ports="6400" secure="false" />
</cross-domain-policy>

Change the to-port to the port your bbs uses and this will then allow
requesting flash clients to gain access to that port.
The flash policy server runs on port 843 so make sure to open it on
our router and forward it to your telnet bridge box.

Dave
From: Andrew Wiskow on
Dave is right... I was mistaken about FlashTerm being able to
circumvent blocked ports. Here where I work, ports 23 and 6400 used
to be blocked, and I discovered that they're not blocked anymore. So
that's why I was able to connect here, not because of FlashTerm.

-Andrew