From: Mark Hurd on
The actual scenario is due to C# code converted to VB.NET by
SharpDevelop. The code is the Microsoft ASP.NET provider toolkit sample
code. It includes about a dozen calls like this:

(new SqlCommand("COMMIT TRANSACTION",
holder.Connection)).ExecuteNonQuery();

the SharpDevelop converter left them the same without the semicolon and
I found the following works and is acceptable

Call (New SqlCommand("COMMIT TRANSACTION",
holder.Connection)).ExecuteNonQuery()

But the query to these newsgroups was about the general syntax.

--
Regards,
Mark Hurd, B.Sc.(Ma.) (Hons.)