From: Bruce on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:48:08 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:
>C J Campbell wrote:
>> Nomen Nesciosaid:
>>> RichA wrote

>>> Pentax Rep told me when they brought out the * ist DS they went to SD
>>> cards for several reasons;
>>>
>>> space requirements, SD bays take up a lot less space.
>>>
>>> CF pins, they would never have to do a warranty claim for bent pins
>>> with the
>>> SD card. I have seen a few bent pins in other CF cameras. Yes it takes a
>>> certainly amount of skill to insert a CF and bend pins, yet people do it.
>>
>> Hey! I have never needed any skill at all to bend pins.
>
>I bent the pins in my old CF card reader eventually.

It only takes a little piece of dirt in one of the slots.

From: Pete D on

"Maroochy" <BarbaraH*REMOVE THIS*@ozdebate.com> wrote in message
> Pete D wrote:
>
>> So how many have you lost, I have never lost any in many years of
>> using many SD/HC cards, you must be something of a klutzzzz.. ;-).
>
> They're very hard to use/hold if you have arthritic fingers, that's a fact
> of life, not being a klutz.

Thanks for that, I was having a joke there in case you didn't notice. ;-)

From: David J Taylor on
"-hh" <recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in message
[]
> The size issues of media that's smaller than CF isn't just personal
> klutziness, but also includes an environmental dimension: try
> handling a tiny form factor card while wearing gloves...or with
> fingers numbed because you pulled your gloves off. The bottom line is
> that there is such a thing as "too small" for objects intended to be
> removable on a not-particularly-unique-case basis.
[]
> -hh

When I've been in those situations, which I have twice recently, I made
sure I had enough memory and battery capacity in the camera before I
started. As I have small hands, I wouldn't have minded changing an SD
card had the need arisen, though.

However, I did find that one 3rd-party Li-ion battery didn't seem to stand
the cold as well as a manufacturer's own Li-ion battery, and that Sanyo
eneloops may have had better performance than generic NiMH cells (in a
continually-on GPS).

Cheers,
David

From: David J Taylor on
"John Turco" <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote in message
[]
> Whatever became of the MiniSD version? I needed one, for a Nextar
> "Snap3"
> GPS unit (a February purchase) -- but, couldn't find any such specimens,
> in town. (Even eBay lacked much of a variety.)
>
> Eventually, I settled for a SanDisk 4GB MicroSD puppy, on eBay. The kit
> included MiniSD and SD adapters, plus a "thumb drive" type of SD card
> reader ($12.94 USD, total).
>
> MicroSD has almost completely supplanted MiniSD, it seems.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>

Yes, I believe that min-SD became obsolete a couple of years back. Glad
you were able to get an adapter. I have a micro-SD for my GPS.

Cheers,
David