From: Folderol on
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:37:23 +0000
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> I've just got a brand new Xerox Phaser 6110N colour printer.
>
> I was able to install the Xerox drivers but when trying to connect the
> printer with linux-config (as root) I get the error:
>
> add-printer failed: client-error-not-authorized
>
> This is true even if I try to tell it to print to file.
>
> However, using my browser pointed to localhost:631 I was able to set up
> the printer apparently without difficulty over the network.
>
> The problem I now have is that the print is *far* too dense and colours
> so dark as to be ridiculous.
>
> Using kprinter to look at the image settings I tried altering the
> brightness and gamma correction from their default settings. The printer
> seemed to ignore this :(
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> I'm running on debian lenny

After much stress, several trials and a completely trashed CUPS -
needing a re-install to eventually sort out, I
discovered http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/

This gives good results, and only requires a little tweaking in gimp
for photos to come out well (reduction of reds, increase in
brightness and contrast).

I sent them a donation!

--
Will J G