From: orz on
Clearly I should use more carriage returns / line feeds.
From: orz on
on topic again:

Is there any reason to have walls in the system instead of wrap around
coordinates?

If the size is set fairly high then some screwy stuff starts happening
in its performance on statistical tests. In some cases with very
large sizes it will fails some tests very quickly, gradually get worse
on those tests, then gradually get better on them until it starts
passing them. ie the particle system is changing states in some
strange ways over time, and some of those states produce highly biased
output.
From: Cristiano on
orz wrote:
> RaBiGeTe is still in development? I saw no updates since 2005 and
> assumed it had frozen. Multi-threading RNG testing sounds like a
> really good idea for this day and age.

I vastly improved RaBiGeTe (multi-threading, GUI, new tests, new tabular and
graphical reports), but I haven't published the updates because of the
little feedback I got: little feedback, little interest. :-)

> I'm working on a vaguely
> similar package (though probably closer to TestU01, as it includes
> RNGs and is intended to have the RNG output passed directly to the
> tests without being written to disk first).

That is the way RaBiGeTe works when the user is a programmer; when I test
RNGs, I don't write anything on disk.

Cristiano

From: Lev Dymchenko on
On Aug 13, 12:27 pm, orz <cdh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> on topic again:
>
> Is there any reason to have walls in the system instead of wrap around
> coordinates?
>
> If the size is set fairly high then some screwy stuff starts happening
> in its performance on statistical tests.  In some cases with very
> large sizes it will fails some tests very quickly, gradually get worse
> on those tests, then gradually get better on them until it starts
> passing them.  ie the particle system is changing states in some
> strange ways over time, and some of those states produce highly biased
> output.

Maybe initial-non random state affects that it fails some tests
quickly than become more better. In new version I shuffle initial
state by running function with out generation of bits. In that version
initial state may affect huge sizes as particles are ordered. Also
with huge sizes particles tends to be isolated.
With out wrapping coordinates I believe particles will gather in
corners, it may add something. I now research that attack, need
dimension from 6 and dimension should be even. That way trajectories
of particles itself looks random. That way I changed default
parameters of rng from dim 5 to 6.
From: jbriggs444 on
On Aug 13, 4:27 am, orz <cdh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> on topic again:
>
> Is there any reason to have walls in the system instead of wrap around
> coordinates?

If you have walls and corners, does that bias your results?

Let's see...

We are looking for 4-tuples with each element selected from
the set {-1, 0, 1} subject to the constraints that:

1. Not all elements can be zero
2. The x element cannot be -1.

There should be ( 81 - 27 ) / 2 such elements. We want to
ensure that the parity of these elements is evenly split between
even and odd.

Ahah! An easy argument follows. We already know that the
three dimensional (3x3x3) hyper-plane right at the wall is not
evenly split with respect to parity. And we already know that
the full four dimensional (3x3x3x3) hyper-cube is evenly split.
And we can easily see that the two four-dimensional half-cubes
with the center plane excluded are mirror images of one
another and must neccessarily have an identical parity excess.

It follows that eliminating one four-dimensional half-cube
at the walls will have the effect of inducing a parity bias
there.

So yes, non-toroidal walls are a problem.